Trying not to laugh, really

Started by TehBorken, Apr 15 08 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Ahhh, welcome to being treated just like everyone else. This is known as the "unintended consequence" effect. Having the same rights as everyone else means you have the same responsibilities as everyone else. I have to admit that I'm annoyed that these couples sound so surprised and shocked at the fact  that divorce is traumatic, messy, and can take a long time.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][font style="font-weight: bold;" size="4"]Some gay couples are having trouble obtaining divorces[/font]
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Gay couples had to struggle mightily to win the right to marry or form civil unions. Now, some are finding that breaking up is hard to do, too.

In Rhode Island, for example, the state's top court ruled in December that gays married in neighboring Massachusetts can't get divorced here because lawmakers have never defined marriage as anything but a union between a man and woman. In Missouri, a judge is deciding whether a lesbian married in Massachusetts can get an annulment.

"We all know people who have gone through divorces. At the end of that long and unhappy period, they have been able to breathe a sigh of relief," said Cassandra Ormiston of Rhode Island, who is splitting from her wife, Margaret Chambers. But "I do not see that on my horizon, that sigh of relief that it's over."

[a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080415/ap_on_re_us/gay_divorce"]Link[/a]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.