Darvaz.. The door to Hell

Started by Russ, Apr 01 08 06:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

[A href="http://englishrussia.com/?p=1830#more-1830"]http://englishrussia.com/?p=1830#more-1830[/A]

This place in Uzbekistan is called by locals "The Door to Hell". It is situated near the small town of Darvaz. The story of this place lasts already for 35 years. Once the geologists were drilling for gas. Then suddenly during the drilling they have found an underground cavern, it was so big that all the drilling site with all the equipment and camps got deep deep under the ground. None dared to go down there because the cavern was filled with gas. So they ignited it so that no poisonous gas could come out of the hole, and since then, it's burning, already for 35 years without any pause. Nobody knows how many tons of excellent gas has been burned for all those years but it just seems to be infinite there.

[img alt="" src="http://englishrussia.com/images/darvaz_door/1.jpg" border=0][!-- / message --][!-- sig --] __________________[/DIV]
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

That's amazing Russ!  I wonder why they don't do something about it ???
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Awesome photo.
 I believe there is one of those near Red Deer, but it's more underground- so not much to look at on the surface.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
Awesome photo.
lI believe there is one of those near Red Deer, but it's more underground- so not much to look at on the surface.

LM - there's a gas seep near black diamond, ab where a small portion of the hillside burns constantly (perhaps for 1,000's of years)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Michel

Van

Hey! Vancouver Island needs one of those for camping.

You would never have to worry about your campfire being put out by rain.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/p015.gif" border=0]     Who's a cheeky monkey !!!!

We get plenty-o-sunshine here I tell ya.

Van

I know it is! Until I get a camp set up and a fire going..
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Hey !!! Van Guy.....nice to see you !        

P.C.

See....I like to think of my house as a big wooden tent.  This is camping at its best to me.  I've got a shower, a bar-b...a warm bed and a toilet and it costs nothing in gas to get here.  It just doesn't get any better.

Van

cool!

I like tenting there rain or shine. North of Tofino. Pretty tame hiking, but very booooteeful! It has been awhile. I am due for a return.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
 Hey !!! Van Guy.....nice to see you !          thanks - can you really see me?  I'm 8,000 km away...

I've been absent due to technically difficulties viatnamese internet pretty much sucks.

sorry 'bout the consumed family member.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:

See....I like to think of my house as a big wooden tent.  This is camping at its best to me.  I've got a shower, a bar-b...a warm bed and a toilet and it costs nothing in gas to get here.  It just doesn't get any better. [/DIV]
 You've been camping in the wrong spots - you open up your tent and look over a field of alpine flowers to the snow capped peaks and you breath in the UBER FRESH air, listen to the birds chirping ... and you pause for a long moment ... to drink it all in.  Sure you'll have to siht in a snow bank in a bit but it's all worth it.

P.C.

You've been camping in the wrong spots - you open up your tent and look over a field of alpine flowers to the snow capped peaks and you breath in the UBER FRESH air, listen to the birds chirping ... and you pause for a long moment ... to drink it all in.  Sure you'll have to siht in a snow bank in a bit but it's all worth it.

Au contraire.....it's a pretty not bad camping spot.  I open up my 'tent' and look over a forest of green, and I breath in some fairly decent air, listen to the birds chirping and the woodpeckers destroying my retaining wall....oh wait....strike that last one. [/DIV]

van_guy

Au contraire.....it's a pretty not bad camping spot.  I open up my 'tent' and look over a forest of green, and I breath in some fairly decent air, listen to the birds chirping and the woodpeckers destroying my retaining wall....oh wait....strike that last one.

Not saying anything bad about your air or wall -

Part of the camping experience the aforementioned - part of it is learning to appreciate the things we take for granted - hot shower - warm / dry bed - stove - electricity - etc....

I was having a tough time loading your retaining wall pic - sooooo wood peckers destroed your wall?  How dare they????[/DIV]