Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
3 (37.5%)
Undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Lil Me

[div class="articleCopy"]VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - No one has accused Ottawa of being penny wise but there may be some wisdom in the latest move to eliminate the one cent coin. Winnipeg MP Pat Martin is at it again, introducing a private members bill today to get rid of the red cent.[/p] He says they just weigh down your pockets or end up in jars. The legislation would mean retailers would have to round up, or theoretically down, to the nearest five cent mark on cash transactions. [/p] Debit transactions wouldn't be affected. On the street, most people like the idea. One man says he would like nothing more than to never ever have to see another penny in his pocket. He says he would rather have pocket lint than pennies as the coins are heavier and worth less.[/p] The Royal Canadian Mint did a survey recently and found more than 60% of small retailers like the idea and over 40% of consumers. Large retailers were mostly against the move, afraid it could limit how they price their products.
 [/p] Full Story:
 [a href="http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20080331_095538_3884"]http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20080331_095538_3884[/a]
 [/p]  [/div]  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

I like pennies. I have a larges size plastic beer bottle 3/4 full of pennies, and when it fills up, I am going to go buy a coffee from Starbucks!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

haha and while there at it can they get rid of the nickel and dime? I don't really have any use for anything under .25 cents.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Michel

Gopher

No, because they'll certainly round the price UP.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

No.  I like pennies too.  What will we substitute for 'See a penny, pick it up.....all the day you'll have good luck.'

I don't know about the rest of you, but I need all the luck I can get.

Is it just laziness that people don't want to deal with pennies ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

You might be on to something there Michel.  The kids are wearing their pants so low these days, one more penny in their pockets could be putting them all at risk for indecency charges.

Sportsdude

i think the low pants thing faded or at least the guys who want to get out of high school don't do that.

lol, I just don't use dimes and nickels because I haven't found a need for them. I hoard quarters like its the last on the earth. Laundary mat doesn't take nickels and dimes.

purelife

Eliminate pennies.      

49er

.........and doesn't everyone love the person in front of them who is searching for the last penny in his/her pocket or purse to pay the cashier at the checkout without regards of the people waiting in line behind them  

P.C.

.........and doesn't everyone love the person in front of them who is searching for the last penny in his/her pocket or purse to pay the cashier at the checkout without regards of the people waiting in line behind them  

lol.    Yes....wasting another 40 seconds out of our lives is a good reason to get rid of pennies. (I'm assuming you are being facetious )?  

Sportsdude

copper mining folks aren't going to be happy. lol  

Russ

get rid of them.

storekeepers can still advertise like 3.99. but after taxes and everything.. everything must round to 5's and 10's. Think gas prices.. they are advertised at 123.4 per litre.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims