Favorite and Least Favorite Cities and Towns

Started by Van, Mar 31 08 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

prairies are great if you like open spaces or grew up in or around a rural type setting. The draw to the prairies are the low land hills in the grasslands and you're the only tall thing around.

[img style="width: 601px; height: 398px;" src="http://fig.cox.miami.edu/Faculty/Dana/50-16e-TempGrasslands.jpg[/img]

[img style="width: 551px; height: 414px;" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Grasslands-menggu.JPG/800px-Grasslands-menggu.JPG[/img]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I remember a trip from here to London Ontario......we went through the prairies..of course.  I remember weeping at the thought of having to do it again.  It was so boring, I felt like gouging my eyes out.    We ended up doing a SUPER detour down through the states.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

hahaha. I take it P.C. you don't like the desolation?
not a fan of little house on the prairie growing up I take it? lol

P.C.

hahaha. I take it P.C. you don't like the desolation?
not a fan of little house on the prairie growing up I take it? lol

I don't think it's the desolation.  It's just the dullest landscape ever, (to me).  As if someone intentionally designed it to have absolutely no interest.  

Sportsdude

lol well you can thank the glaciers they did it. All that good soil that is in the U.S., it used to be in Canada. Glaciers came, pushed all the good soil out, hence we have the shield and trees. Only places where the good soil stayed were in the Fraser Valley and Southwest Ontario.

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
It's just the dullest landscape ever, (to me).  As if someone intentionally designed it to have absolutely no interest.
 --
 My friend from SK said, "It's like they levelled and forgot to build..."

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Well, I'm quite partial to Sydney and some parts of Scotland. I love being in Glassglow because it was so beautiful and the people, OMG, so sweet and helpful even though I can't understand what they're saying half the time.

I'm not overtly fond of Kuala Lumpur as it's not exactly the cleanest city in the world. I'm talking about smog and the fact that the public washroom is for show only. I don't pee well in Asia. The food, however, is to die for. Love eating like a pig there.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Van

Cool! I have been to Glasgow too. I had a great time.

Sydney looks cool. I used to work with an Aussie that said Melbourne was the place to be. I have never been.

PC, I could imagine driving across the praries would be long. It is such a huge land mass.

Funny, we used to have cousins come to Vancouver from Sask., and they hated the mountains??!! They felt closed in and closterphobic (sp?).  I guess it is all where we are raised?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Lil Me

One other town I like is Field, B.C.
 Beautiful mountains, cool vibe.
 (nearly ran out of gas there---no gas station)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

van_guy

Van wrote:
 [div][font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Least:[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]I don't have a lot of least favorites. Usually when I visit a city in the USA, it is too short termed to really know if it is cool or not.:[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Kelowna. SUCKS!! Trying to figure out the hype? But the more people go there, the less they are where I want to go.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Minneapolis. Never been so scared visiting a city when I took a wrong turn and ended up lost!!...cold and very flat too. [/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Prince George BC: 3 pulp mills surrounding a town at a valley bottom. They say after 56 years, you start to get used to the smell.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Cranbrook BC: Looks like they took a chunk of a ghetto and placed it in the East Kootenays. At least it is in a nice area.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Lethbridge AB - The town isn't even bad, it is the wind that drives people to jump off the bridge there.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Great Falls Montana - not much to say about that one.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Philadelphia - Yikes! Again, scary![/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"][/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Favs: [/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Boulder, Colorado - Cool college town right by the Rockies[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Riondel, BC - Actually, it sucks, don't go there and tell people to stay away!![/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Portland, Oregon[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Santa Cruz. California (there is cool, then there is Santa Cruz cool)[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Nelson, BC[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Salmon Arm, BC[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Kimberley, BC[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Chelan, WA[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Calgary -  Met too many sweethearts in that town to hate it. [/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Boston. As far as cities go, I loved Boston!! [/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]NY - Loved every second I was there. Didn't hurt my feelings to leave either.[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Maple Ridge, BC (if you wouldn't have to commute into downtown).[/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Denver. I had a great time in Denver one time a couple years back. Too big for me to live in though.[/span][/span][/font]
[font face="Arial" size="2"][span class="571565815-31032008"][span class="571565815-31032008"]Vancouver: I love Vancouver, but I am just done with living in cities in general. Still, Vancouver is sweet!

Van,

We have very simmilar tastes in cities.  Have you ever bben to Atlin BC?  very funky place - i knew 1/2 the town in 3 days .  only place i;ve ever been where someone walked into a crowded bar and yelled a round for the house!!

My favorite city is Dunhuang - in western china near the stans just north of tibet.  fab food - great smells - the only place i've ever seen a human skull for sale as a bowl -  amaaaaaazing art Magao caves with 10,000 bhuddhas - hindu - muslims - buddists all living in peace.
[/span][/span][/font][/div]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Gopher

Lil Me wrote:
P.C. wrote:
[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"] It's just the dullest landscape ever, (to me).  As if someone intentionally designed it to have absolutely no interest. [/SPAN]
--
My friend from SK said, "It's like they levelled and forgot to build..."

I find something majestic about the prairies , as if one's standing alone between heaven and earth  with nothing to intervene between Maker and Man.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

I find something majestic about the prairies , as if one's standing alone between heaven and earth  with nothing to intervene between Maker and Man.

Oh sure.....you can dress it up with pretty speech, but it'll still be a barren wasteland to me.

Gopher

Hmph! You ever been dressed up in pretty speech, PC?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Why yes I have Gophie.....and although I clean up pretty good, I yam what I yam. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/a030.gif" border=0]

.....and let me add.  It's still darned cold if that's all your wearing.

|