Pay It Forward Day - April 4th, 2008

Started by purelife, Apr 03 08 04:11

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

Tomorrow it's Pay It Forward Day.  If anyone hasn't seen this movie (with Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey), you must see it to fully understand this, if you wish.  It's one of my all time favorite.

The object of this day is to do between one and three good deeds for others without asking for anything in return and hope that the recipient will do the same for someone else thus "pay it forward."

Some ideas could be:

- buying a bus ticket for a stranger

- give flowers to a sick person in hospital

- donating money to your favorite charity

- offering a homeless person some food vouchers...

One deed might not seem like much, but if you guys and everyone else did something good for someone else, then the cycle of generosity and kindness can spark us to become better people.  

I actually like to top up people's car toll for parking.  If I notice a metre that has expired, I just pop in a few quarters to add some more time.  It's just a nice thing to do. :)

[SPAN style="COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; 10pt: "][?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]

[A href="http://www.payitforwardday.com/"][/A]

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

OMG.....holy sniffles.  Speaking of paying it forward, purelife, on the news just now, the guy who won 14 million in Toronto, wrote each of his employers $5000 (immediately) and ordered a truck load of chicken (he's a butcher) and gave it all away free to his customers today.  ($30,000.00 worth)  Bless his sweet little heart.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

That's very generous of him, PC.

My good deed for today? I just organized a baby shower for a co-worker that will take place this afternoon. Collected money from everyone and ask ppl to bring in something. I know for certain that I've fallen out of favor in the eyes of my supervisor because she hates this co-worker that I'm organizing the shower for. I don't understand what the fuss is all about but I don't care. It's HER baby and it should be a happy occassion.    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Van

Never seen that movie.

I did do a good deed for 2 people in a youth program I am involved with. They are into metal old and new. I got them tix to Iron Maiden. They will love it. I am sure there are not a lot of Maiden fans here, but they rarely come to Canada, and the concert sold out, so it is all good.  

I am showing up later to pick them up for a trip to a half pipe this afternoon I am bringing coffee, and I will tape the tix to the side of the cups and surprise them.

WOOHOO!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

That's so nice Van.  I'm inspired.

I just (finally) saw that movie about a month ago.  Quite the tear jerker.  I wasn't expecting that....I'd thought it was more of a comedy.  Probably be a great date movie.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

How VERY sweet of you Van and that story PC is very touching... snifles for sure...  

Van

it is cool to help others. Even if it doesn't mean too much. Sometimes you even get in trouble for trying to help others. Some people become suspicious if you are trying to be nice. It is just the way some humans are.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Gopher

You can always turn it round the other way,.I paid lavish compliments to somebody yesterday just so that she could see that all her needling of me through the years  wasn't going to get her anywhere. I even lowered myself to call her an extremely handsome woman "for your age". Thus with 'niceness' can you also settle scores.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Van

Gopher wrote:
I even lowered myself to call her an extremely handsome woman "for your age".

Oh that is too funny!  I bet that went over really well!

purelife

Van wrote:
it is cool to help others. Even if it doesn't mean too much. Sometimes you even get in trouble for trying to help others. Some people become suspicious if you are trying to be nice. It is just the way some humans are.[/DIV]
 I think those people aren't used to random acts of kindness and have this "what's in it for you" mentality.

purelife

Gopher wrote:
You can always turn it round the other way,.I paid lavish compliments to somebody yesterday just so that she could see that all her needling of me through the years  wasn't going to get her anywhere. I even lowered myself to call her an extremely handsome woman "for your age". Thus with 'niceness' can you also settle scores. Good for you, Gophie!  It takes a lot of inner strength and putting aside differences to do that.  

Van

purelife wrote:
I think those people aren't used to random acts of kindness and have this "what's in it for you" mentality. [/DIV]
 True. Then again, not everyone is like that. Good people and sh*theads wherever you go hey?!