Favorite and Least Favorite Cities and Towns

Started by Van, Mar 31 08 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Van

Thought this would be a good place to ask sports about East St. Louis. Is East St. Louis a seperate city, like the one in Illinois? Or are you referring to a neighbourhood of St. Louis?

My favorite city I have ever visited was Portland. It was just so cool. Great indie rock, great coffee shops, a city in a forest. Well planned too, I am told. It was like a toned down version of Seattle! LOL.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

Yeah East St. Louis is a city/ghost town across the river in Illinois. If I say North St. Louis, that is St. Louis. Its like West Van, North Van.

hmm favourite cities
Vancouver
Victoria
Seattle
Portland
Boston
D.C.
Chattanooga
Salt Lake
I want to love Denver but I can't for some reason
Chicago- in the summer

Towns that make me laugh
Boise (chicken dinner road)

Cities I don't like
New York. Its only in the negative because I went there a year after 9/11 and a year before 9/11 and on a cloudy day, the city just feels gloomy.

Atlanta. This is quite possibly the worst city in the south. It doesn't have a culture. If you are ever driving through don't go there, the place will give you headaches. Its a sprawl city, its split between north fulton and south fulton. North Fulton County is the rich part, South is full of thousands of homeless and a really poor neighbourhoods (mlk's church is in the peverbial ghetto). The city is not safe.

Tampa. For the same reasons as Atlanta. Its car based, highway dependant. Its too flat for me and I don't understand the fascination people have with Florida, but that's me.

Kansas City MO/Kansas City KS
They're two different cities but if you want to know what Los Angeles is like on a larger scale this is the place. It has the most highways per capita then any other city in the country. These highways carve up neighbourhoods and make the city feel distant. KC MO otherwise is a great town. Good food, etc. but what really knocks it down is its transportation planning.

Los Angeles
I don't think i need to say much here. My idea of a city is not to sit in a car all day in traffic.

Phoenix
Its in the desert, its really unhealthy hot in the summers and you have to deal with dust storms. Its a dusty place that is over populated that it can't sustain itself due to short water supplies.

favourite regions
Pacific Northwest
Mountain West
Prairies
Midwest
New England

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Least:[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]I don't have a lot of least favorites. Usually when I visit a city in the USA, it is too short termed to really know if it is cool or not.:[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Kelowna. SUCKS!! Trying to figure out the hype? But the more people go there, the less they are where I want to go.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Minneapolis. Never been so scared visiting a city when I took a wrong turn and ended up lost!!...cold and very flat too. [/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Prince George BC: 3 pulp mills surrounding a town at a valley bottom. They say after 56 years, you start to get used to the smell.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Cranbrook BC: Looks like they took a chunk of a ghetto and placed it in the East Kootenays. At least it is in a nice area.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Lethbridge AB - The town isn't even bad, it is the wind that drives people to jump off the bridge there.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Great Falls Montana - not much to say about that one.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Philadelphia - Yikes! Again, scary![/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Favs: [/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Boulder, Colorado - Cool college town right by the Rockies[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Riondel, BC - Actually, it sucks, don't go there and tell people to stay away!![/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Portland, Oregon[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Santa Cruz. California (there is cool, then there is Santa Cruz cool)[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Nelson, BC[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Salmon Arm, BC[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Kimberley, BC[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Chelan, WA[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Calgary -  Met too many sweethearts in that town to hate it. [/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Boston. As far as cities go, I loved Boston!! [/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]NY - Loved every second I was there. Didn't hurt my feelings to leave either.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Maple Ridge, BC (if you wouldn't have to commute into downtown).[/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Denver. I had a great time in Denver one time a couple years back. Too big for me to live in though.[/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial size=2][SPAN class=571565815-31032008][SPAN class=571565815-31032008]Vancouver: I love Vancouver, but I am just done with living in cities in general. Still, Vancouver is sweet![/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][/DIV]
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

Oh very true Michel. I was just thinking of a thread for discussing different towns.  More of a visiting review.

True though. Example: I didn't like Minneapolis, but maybe someone could write some cool things about the place?

I am far from being an expert on any places I have visited.

I forgot to add Dublin to one of my favorites.  

P.C.

I love San Diego, Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur and Cannon Beach.  There were lots of little towns through the Redwoods that I loved to, but don't remember the names.

I don't like anything on the prairies.  Give me ocean and give me trees please.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

P.C. wrote:
I don't like anything on the prairies.  Give me ocean and give me trees please.     I agree, except I prefer a nice lake over the ocean.

I never spent much time in San Diego. Looks so nice!

There are a lot of cool little towns on the northern coast of California.Unfortunatly, last time I drove through, it was too foggy to see too much from Eureka to Crescent City.

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
I don't like anything on the prairies.  Give me ocean and give me trees please. --
 Ditto.  I do like the foothills, though.

I dislike any town that's ugly and/or has a bad smell...
 Port Alberni
 Powell River
 Kaslo
 Chilliwack
 Sparwood
 Vernon
 P.G.
 Hedley
 Britannia Beach
 Fort MacLeod
 Brooks
 Sylvan Lake
 Hinton
 Edson
 that stupid 3 Valley Gap...and most of the Shuswap towns...
 ...and anything north of Edmonton that's swampy

I'm all for anything that's near water, mountains
 anything on the coast of BC, WA, OR, CA
 gulf islands
 Kootenays (particularly liked the vibe in New Denver)
 South side of Okanagan Lake (Penticton to Peachland and Penticton to Naramata)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

I love the Island. Not crazy about Victoria though.

Hey! What is wrong with Kaslo? LOL!

Oh, and I wasn't trying to start a DV style "This Town Vs. That Town", thingy. Just curious about some cool and not so cool towns.

sports, Kansas looks cool. Lots of music and food!

Lil Me

I'd really like to live in Cicely, Alaka (the ficitious town in Northern Exposure).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I think I forgot to add Victoria to favs.

Got more likes and dislikes
South:
Memphis - not the nicest town, elvis lives in the ghetto, and other then the riverfront the town feels too much like st. louis for me. Has the same sort of vibe.
Nashville- better city of the two major Tennessee metros. The layout is nice, if you like live music they've got a ton of music venues. You don't have to be a country fan to like the music there. The neighbourhoods are really nice. Nice old southern homes.
New Orleans- don't bother now really. Unless you want to go on a humanitarian mission. Its sort of ironic that the hurricane knocked out on the poorest areas of the city which were some of the poorest in the United States. French Quarter is nice but the city used to have a lot of life.

Biloxi- Its gone, it died, makes me feel really sad, the people there are super nice but poor. Hard working too. Mississippi in general is a no go unless you go to Oxford or on some sort of guilt trip. The whole state is extreme poor. All they had was the Gulf Coast and that's all gone now.

Alabama:
There's Northern Alabama and Southern Alabama. The joke my cousin would say is Southern Alabamans go "hey look at what I'm doin, check this out'" and end up in the paper the next day.
Huntsville is nice, Birmingham is an old industrial town, high crime but excellent history. Vulcan Statue is really cool.

Mobile- port town, has its own vibe from the other two big cities in Alabama. Again nice people, nicer scenery.

Georgia
Atlanta- Sherman burned it to the ground in the Civil War, there's no history in the place other then 20th Century history. This is just a modern looking city, Vancouver has more history then Atlanta and Atlanta has been along a long time. (thanks to Sherman though its got nothing)

Savannah - very nice

South Carolina- Charleston is the must see here. Sherman didn't burn Charleston, he let it be. So if you want to see what the South used to look like, Charleston is where you want to go.

Florida
meh
Every coastal town is the same. Long blvd that's hard to navigate, high speeds and a shrinking beach because they built the towns and cities on the beach. Avoid in the summer go in the winter. Some places are worth mentioning they're super small though.

Orlando- never liked, don't understand why so many people want to live there.

Miami- bring a ton of shirts, most humid and sweatest city in the country. Totally different culture though then the rest of Florida. Some get turned off by it while others don't mind. Spanish is predominant

michaelday77

Seattle is my fav city in the US  that i've been too ( which is why i'm moving there in exactly 120 days.  ) . Chicago being second.  
Michael Day

Van

Cool! Chicago looks like an exciting town.

sports, is Orlando booming? Besides Mickey Mouse, you don't hear much of Orlando? I know Florida is growing too fast for the water supply.  

Sportsdude

I've been going to Orlando since I was 5. Its unbelievable how its just blown up in that time period. Although the long strip that is by Disney World is now a ghost town thanks to a couple hurricanes. Its just an ugly place though. I've never understood its attraction. Florida's bad news anyway since its all going to go under. lol  

Van

Never thought about that about Orlando. Also, never thought about St. Louis being the way it is until you got me reading about it.  

I do remember Chevy Chase stopping in St. Louis in Vacation! LOL. awesome.

I am not crazy about the praries, but I seen a August sunset in Medicine Hat, AB that blew me away. It was surreal, like something out of science fiction. Harvest season, and really dry and dusty made for a sunset that looked like Mars was crashing into the horizon.

|