Russ on Rust

Started by P.C., Mar 28 08 08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Hey Russ....wondering if you know of some chemical or solvent that will turn metal hinges into a nasty tarnished colour.  I used to have a recipe for it, but can't for the life of me locate it.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

ooops.  Anyone else who has any info....please....I need all the help I can get.

49er

try soldering flux.......acid in it turns copper pipes green

P.C.

try soldering flux.......acid in it turns copper pipes green

Soldering flux ?  Can you elaborate for me 49er?  The hinges aren't copper.[/DIV]

49er

you just need an acid to eat the finish and oxidise the metal.  If the hinge is bronze, it has copper it it and will turn green

ADD: battery acid will do the same thing but faster

P.C.

I think these hinges are steel.  Would bleach do it ?

49er

P.C. wrote:
I think these hinges are steel.  Would bleach do it ?[/DIV]
 I don't know.......if does it will take some time

P.C.

I know there is something that will do it.  I've done it....accidentally....when I DIDN'T want them to tarnish, and they did.....but I don't remember what it was.  I also had a recipe from these 2 guys that used to do this neat refinishing furniture show.....but can't find it on-line.

I'm doing a kitchen re-do for a gal who is on a super tight budget, and she wants to replace all the hinges.....which would be close to $300.  Another $400 for new drawer pull and knobs.  (got that one sussed)  Seems like a trivial thing to spend that much money on, if I can get 'the look' without replacing them.

P.C.

No chemists out there ?

Russ

Im afraid I cant tell you PC.. I really dont know. I go out of my way to prevent any corrossion as best I can.. not to creat fast corrosion.. lol!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I thought if anyone had any experience in soaking metal bits in solvents, it might be you.  Rats rats rats.

Lil Me

Rub some black paint, shoe polish onto the metal...  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Orik

Hi Pc.
here are a couple of links that may provide u with further info
i hope they are able to help u with ur small perplexing problem of tarnishing stainless steel
[a href="http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-176994.html"]
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-176994.html[/a]
[a href="http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/resources/articles/using_metal_jump_rings.php"]http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/resources/articles/using_metal_jump_rings.php[/a]
all else fails add some copper penny's and a bit of brass and bronze  to some tarnex (sp)  put in a bucket of steel immerse ur hinges with the copper after u have sanded them a bit the copper brass and bronze will hopefully oxidize and plate the stainless steel hinges giving them a tarnished look. but i don't know how long or how well this method will work. im not a metallurgist but the tarnx will make ur copper look like new :D lol

I'm guessing u want to do something  like i have copy and pasted below.

Authentic Bronze Finishes

Bronze is a weather resistant alloy which needs minimum care to         maintain its shine and beauty. Authentic bronze finishes are imparted         using 100% solid bronze. The finishing is done by using a forging         process that leaves a rugged texture, thereby lending a distinction to         each piece of hardware.

Patina is applied to create a variety of appealing living         finishes. For achieving living finishes, some color variation is         essential. In order to obtain the antique finish, the natural shades of         the oxidizing bronze is exposed to air. The finish thus obtained,         enhances the beauty of the hardware item.

Bronze patina is an attractive dark brown finish, while natural         bronze is light golden honey in color.

Silver nickel is yet another authentic bronze finish given to         metal hardware items that is sometimes described as white bronze.

Dark bronze is a powder coat finish, usually applied to solid         brass. Powder coating is actually a two part finishing technique. Dry         powder paint is applied electrostatically to the metal part. In the next         step, the part is baked in an oven so that the powder melts and bonds to         the surface to form a continuous film. Powder coating creates a strong         finish, which on proper maintenance does not crack, chip, or peel. The         dark bronze powder coat finish is glossy black in color.

Living Finishes

Living finishes are natural finishes without any protective coatings.         They are designed to change with the course of time and use. The finish         might rub off on continuous usage and darken when not in use. This is         considered to be the normal evolution of the finish. No two items with         living finishes will be identical and any item or liquid that comes into         contact with the finish can affect the color. Living finishes vary with         time in color and tone, thus adding character and uniqueness.

some tips on aging copper is all i could find

finding tips on weathering and aging stainless steel r much harder..
good luck pc.

Q.: How do you get a green patina on copper?[/p]     A.: There are a few options:    [/p][ul][li style="padding-bottom: 5px;"]1. The Slow, Natural Way: Given enough time outdoors, copper will darken and eventually turn green in a few months or years, depending on the weather and local environmental conditions.[/li][li style="padding-bottom: 5px;"]2. The Fast Way: Mix up a solution of regular household ammonia and salt in a plastic spray bottle. The more salt, the harsher the reaction. Spray your solution on the copper gingerly and watch how it reacts. You may want repeated coats or to let it dry between coats, depending on the mixture and your desired outcome. Rinse with water, and dry, to stop the reaction. Be safe! Do this in a well-ventilated area (preferably outside); wear old clothes, rubber gloves and eye protection.

You may achieve a similar outcome using "Liver of Sulfur".[/li][li style="padding-bottom: 5px;"]The Fun Way: Pee on it. No kidding. Urine contains lots of ammonia and salt. This naturally corrosive liquid will raise havoc with copper and turn it green quickly. Put urine in a spray bottle. Use this method to get some good giggles, stories and shock appeal out of your friends and family, but please be discreet and do this one in the privacy of your own home -- no need to scare the neighbors or have to explain what you're doing to the police!

*Note: This is by no means an exact science. You will have to do some experimenting on a few samples first.[/li][li style="padding-bottom: 5px;"]Future Fun: In addition to green, you can turn copper brown, black, blue, red or get a "rainbow" effect. More later.[/li][/ul]

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Orik

thats called smudging lil me
sand the hinges
use a black acrylic paint wipe it some off the pait will remian in little pits gving it a aged patina.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

THANKS Orik !!!!

'Phosphoric acid will give some stainless alloys a black hue.'  

That'll do it.  Now all I have to do is figure out what phosphoric acid is....where I can get it...and if I will have any hands left when I'm done.