Vacuum cleaners

Started by purelife, Mar 28 08 12:18

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

Do you guys prefer the upright or the canister?

Oh, and how many AMPS is good?  12, 14?  I don't want to spend so much on one and there are way too many to chose from these days.  

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Is it being sick?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Van

I am no expert on vacuums. Mine is a hand me down from my mom. But it seems to work good.

I imagine it would depend on the size of your house?

I am not sure of good new brands. Interesting thread, because I will probably be in the market soon.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

Is that from Teletubbies, LM?

P.C.

Hahhaa....looks like the SnuffleUpagus.

I prefer cannister....but I have stairs and hard floors.  Uprights are useless for both.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

What kind of vacuums do you guys use?

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

If you right click and save as on the picture it comes up as NooNoo???

As for vacuums.. Ive gone in a different direction. I think I posted somewhere in a thread on here about what happened to my last vacuum. But I ended up getting something like this.. its multifunctional.

[A href="http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=944687&Ntt=944687&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber"]http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=944687&Ntt=944687&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber[/A]
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Yes, that's the NooNoo from Teletubbies....the "parental" figure in the show, for those of you without kids.

I like the high-powered electric broom on a stick.  Mind you, I don't have carpets right now.  The last one I bought wassomewhere in the $80-range at StupidStore.

I've gone through several iterations of hand-me-down DirtDevil upright vacuums.  They work fine for both carpet and floor.

There is a huge price range in vacuums.  I believe the difference is this: If you buy an economical one from Costco, London Drugs, Stupidstore- it will last you 2-5 years.  If you buy an expensive one (Electrolux, Kenmore, etc.) it will last damn near forever.  My friend's mom found a premium vacuum cleaner at a garage sale-- it was UGLY...from the 1970s...but it was in great condition and destined to last forever.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

uh huh, Russ.
 Most of us don't bring the shop vac into the house....

goats

Lil Me wrote:
uh huh, Russ.
Most of us don't bring the shop vac into the house....

But thats the point! Its multifuntional so you can use it for the garage AND the house!

I must admit at this point that my theory lasted for about ten days (? cant remember) but I ended up being encouraged to buy another vacuum, a mitsubishi upright. I still use the shopvac for the kitchen and bathroom though.  

Lil Me

Sounds good.  So if you spill a 4L milk or a pot of chili, go get the vacuum.  

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
Sounds good.  So if you spill a 4L milk or a pot of chili, go get the vacuum.  
   See! Another convert! Now we just need more of us to get used to this idea... where's Van? I think he will be receptive to this idea.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Actually, a shop vac isn't a bad idea.  We've thrashed more than one household vacuum with wood shavings, metal shavings, drywall, etc.  

|