Updated Sins for the 21st century

Started by Van, Mar 10 08 12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Van

[H3]I still don't see "Sex crimes against young boys" on the list. Give me a break!! [/H3] [H3][A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080310/vatican_sins_080310/20080310?hub=TopStories"][FONT size=2]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080310/vatican_sins_080310/20080310?hub=TopStories[/FONT][/A][/H3] [H3]Vatican lists new sins for a new century[/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Mon. Mar. 10 2008 2:20 PM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]CTV.ca News Staff

The Vatican has unveiled some new sins for the 21st century, such as genetic manipulation, pollution and social injustice.

Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number-two official for sins and penance, told L'Osservatore Romano that he saw bioethics as posing the greatest risks for the human soul.

"(Within bioethics) there are areas where we absolutely must denounce some violations of the fundamental rights of human nature through experiments and genetic manipulation whose outcome is difficult to predict and control," he told the Vatican's official newspaper on Sunday in an interview headlined "New Forms of Social Sin."

The Roman Catholic Church has previously spoken out against stem cell research that requires the destruction of human embryos, believing that life begins at conception.

Girotti also attacked drugs, saying they "weaken the mind and obscure intelligence."

On the growing gap between rich and poor, he said it causes "an unbearable social injustice."

Pope Benedict has made several strong statements on the environment in recent months, saying problems like climate change had become critical to humanity's future.

Catholicism has two basic types of sin: Venial, which are relatively less important and forgivable, and mortal. T

Mortal sin can include acts like abortion and murder, although the church doesn't keep a well-defined list.

Mortal sins can cause a person to go to Hell unless confessed to a priest, who then absolves the sinner in God's name.

With files from The Associated Press

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

or taking over churches because they make millions, excommunicating people for political beliefs, my way or the highway bible thumping destroying society. I kept telling the hard liners that they're dangerously close for the catholic church to blow up in their face like it did in Quebec in the 60's. Especially in St. Louis with the fascist arch bishop who thinks he's god threatening to excommunicate people because of political views.
(churches now hand out bulletins on how to vote and vote for who, deny democrats the right to communion, excommunicate priests who go against heirarchy)

lol if the Quebec situation happened to me and I came from a liberal church, liberal background etc which doesn't fit the usual profile of (oppressed ultra conservative upbringing grows to hate it, turns away from the religion) scenario. It's most certainly going to happen en mass in north america.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

When will the come out with a list of present day virtues ? Such as: selfishness, mendacity, lying, cheating, war-mongering, racism, sexism, capitalism etc. etc.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

And let's not forget bad spelling. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a060.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

P.C.

Foul language is a sin ?    %*#$ !!!!

Gopher

No, my point is that it seems to have turned itself into a present day virtue.  

P.C.

I'm not a huge cusser.  Well....except when I'm golfing.  Or if I spill something...or maybe when I hit my thumb with a hammer.  On occasion if I see something bad on the news.  Sometimes if I burn something when I'm cooking and once in a blue moon when I can't find the mate to a sock.  Once or twice if I read something shocking and every now and then when I open the bills.  I've been known to let one fly when it rains.  But other than that, I don't swear. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/n020.gif" border=0]

P.C.

.........oh....and when my computer is slow or if my cat scratches my couch.  And MAYBE if someone is driving too close behind me or if there's too much exhaust coming out of their vehicle.  Stale bread sometimes does it too.  ........and when I can't find the scissors or the tape. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a035.gif" border=0]

Van

I find I swear most when I hear about Catholic virtues..

Or if I see the Popes face in the news or in a newspaper "G** da*m F*%$^%&*8#%$!!"
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Michel

purelife

Michel wrote:
Back East I swear terribly, [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]here no[/FONT], nobody ever reproached me swearing. Oh wait, yeah right nobody understand lol

What a bunch of (*#(#*$&$%*&^$%*&$#^%*&$^%(&(&$%(ê6º4~~!~!!!  

Van

By "Back East", do you mean Banff??

Michel

Sportsdude

oh oh what about the sin of being a nazi pope! ah ah  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."