Eiffel Tower Lightning

Started by TehBorken, Mar 21 06 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[font color="black" face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="2"]Lightning striking the Eiffel Tower, June 3, 1902, at 9:20 P.M. This is one of the earliest photographs of lightning in an urban setting In:"Thunder and Lightning", Camille Flammarion, translated by Walter Mostyn. Published in 1906.

[/font]The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Photo Library has all sorts of cool weather-related photos (some of the best ones are vintage photos).  [span style="text-decoration: underline;"][/span][a href="http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00602.htm"]http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00602.htm[/a]
[img style="width: 653px; height: 969px;" src="http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/images/wea00602.jpg"]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

soapbox

visible plasma.also accompanied with microwaves,radiowaves,free ions and positive electrons.

same stuff but glass ball prevents conductivity to person.also added in is gases like xeon and neon to colour the charges.

soapbox

black hole (enhanced imagery)

soapbox

Future Canadian

Wow soapbox, rad pics!
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

soapbox

northern lights

(shot was alaska but could be anywhere in canada as well!)

Future Canadian

That first picture Teh posted makes me wonder if the photographer was either quick or lucky with that shot-or it might just be (this just dawned on me) that their exposure times were probably measured in minutes in those days for that kind of photo.

I remember reading an interview with Mario Andretti where he was trying to capture lightning with a camera just for kicks and to keep his reflexes sharp.  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

Spectacular.  Beautiful pics soapbox !!!!!  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

soapbox

neptune  ( blue because of red light wavelength striking the high methane composition)  

P.C.

Do you ever wonder about the beauty on our planet that we will never see in our lifetime ???  I think about it a lot.  That's one of the reasons I love the internet.  OK, so maybe it's not the same as SEEING IT, but at least you get to even know it's out there.  

soapbox

close up of saturns rings

ikon in the shadow of the rings (blue shift due to lack of enhancement)  

soapbox

our big ball of hydrogen. core temp and pressure so high nuclear forces occur.

700 million tonnes of hydrogen are "burned "every second.

P.C.

Holy magnificsense (jeez my spelling is bad tonight, but I'm too tired and lazy to look it up...lol)

Amazing pics....thanks soapbox.  

soapbox

Teuthowenia, an odd midwater squid - not even really that deep        

Future Canadian

soapbox you are on fire tonight, m'man. Awesome pics! Even though awesome is a frequently overused word it applies when you're looking at the surface of the freakin' Sun, man!

Cool!