Skiers, Boarders UNITE!

Started by Van Dude, Mar 06 08 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Van

I hope not  anyways. There is a PGA size golf course opening (unless it is already opened?) in Ucluelet. I have friends that opened a B&B in Tofino a few years ago and it is a constant stress to keep things indie.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

hmm well i'll see soon enough where the vibe is going towards.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Tofino never seems to be over run with tourists.  They're THERE....but it never seems to be 'hectic'.  Long Beach and area, have really done some smart marketing.  They feature storm season as one of their peak times.  And rightly so.  A hotel room on the beach, with a roaring fireplace and/or a hot tub, with a view of some spectacular ocean action.  Genius.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Sportsdude

yup. whales are big.
i can't remember when its the peak season.

P.C.

The west coast is almost an any season time for whale sighting.....but I'm sure there are more peak times than others.

I remember driving past an area a few minutes from home, and spotting a pod of whales.  Traffic (as small as it was) came to a standstill, and everyone had cameras, binoculars and camcorders out.  We actually followed them all the way down island.  We'd drive for a bit, then pull of the highway to the beach and wait and watch as they caught up.

The baby whale had got himself turned around....and the pilot whale was relentless in trying to guide the little guy back into the pod.  It was so dramatic.  The pod doesn't wait....and it was like watching a cliff hanger to see if they caught up with the pod.  We followed  it for over an hour and a half.  It was truly a most fabulous event.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Sportsdude

yeah the island is a completely different place. relaxed a lot.  

Michel

Lil Me

Mr LM and I had a bit of a "trapped" feeling on the Island.  After the last ferry and the last plane have left for the night, you're DOOMED!

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Sportsdude

yeah I used to get the trapped feeling a lot here for the first couple of months. Now it's not really a big deal. I figured out though that the island will punish you if you don't get out of the towns and cities to explore the scenery/wilderness. Especially when you've got nobody to talk to on the weekends.    

Michel

Sportsdude

haha well if you're going north, you skip van, but yeah west, you've got to go through it.  

Lil Me

It kinda bugs me that you need to pay to get on the ferry. It's part of the Trans Canada highway.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|