Skiers, Boarders UNITE!

Started by Van Dude, Mar 06 08 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Van

Sorry it is so hard to make Canadian friends sports. I hate to say it, and I will probably get kicked off of this board for it, but I think BC is one of the least friendly places in Canada. I am not sure what it is? It is almost clicky. That being said, there are good people and sh*theads wherever you go.

Sweet Lil Me knows where Riondel is! (don't tell anyone else off of DS where it is).

I would live on the Island too. Just a shack by the ocean with a firepit and fishing line would do, LOL!

Ask yourself this: Does the Island feel cut off from the rest of BC, or does the rest of BC feel cut off from the Island.    
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

i think its the second. lol

they're two provinces in one really.

I've got a roommate who is 20 years old only has left the island twice in his life. Both times to the Vancouver Airport to fly to the UK. He doesn't see the need to leave the island when "everything I ever wanted is here".

The other roommate is scared to drive through Vancouver, too big and scary. lol

the island is just culturally different. Nanaimo is the only place that celebrates the historical gift of oppression from England in the form of "Empire Days" on Victoria Day, for example. Go to some retirement towns its full of old british ladies on motorized bikes. haha hysterical.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I never say never...but I can't imagine moving off the Island.  However, I DO always get a sense of 'coming home' when I'm on the mainland.  I don't have much family, but none are here on the island.  I keep trying to talk my sister into moving here. She's still where I was 20 years ago....it's too cut off, she says.  I say, cut off from WHAT?  One of these days.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

P.C. wrote:
I never say never...but I can't imagine moving off the Island.  However, I DO always get a sense of 'coming home' when I'm on the mainland.  I don't have much family, but none are here on the island.  I keep trying to talk my sister into moving here. She's still where I was 20 years ago....it's too cut off, she says.  I say, cut off from WHAT?  One of these days.

Exactly! I don't think I would feel trapped there more than Vancouver. Living in Vancouver, I feel trapped from the rest of BC because it is such a pain to go anywhere. I am over the nightclub age and could care less about Ikeas and Sprawl Marts. Soon enough for me. I am still altering my work so it can be done from anywhere. Just building confidence with some clients first. I quit working directly for "the man". Now I charge "the man" for my services on my terms. I love it, hahahahahaa!

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

yeah i think you're trapped more on the lower mainland then on the island. I drove to squamish last week, rather weird drive due to the construction and the sound was all rainy and ugly looking (while the vancouver area was sunny, it was like I entered the twilight zone, which didn't help my mood any) but I still didn't get to whistler and I drove an hour.

on the island I'm an hour from mt. washington an 1:30 basically from Victoria and around 2hrs i think to Tofino. Now, if I lived in Port Hardy, then yeah you'd feel "trapped" along the way you see civilization (less so going north on the island). After Horseshoe bay, there's nothing really. (not until the highway is done, the transport minister is an ex real estate agent, that highway is being built so mansions can over look the sound)

purelife

I haven't heard of Riondel but it sounds like a very nice secret location for secretive rendez-vous! ;)

I haven't found my "secret" place yet either.  One day, I hope to live at this place... hoping that it has a waterfall and a fireplace.  I like the kinda garden that Jamie Oliver has.  If anyone has watched his show, he cooks from his backyard.  It looks very tranquil. :)

P.C.

I think it's the Swedish team that has chosen Mr. Washington for their practise.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a035.gif" border=0]

I've been stuck in traffic jams coming in and out of Van that were far longer than a ferry trip.  I spent an hour and 20 minutes once, to meld into traffic via the on ramp.  Without traffic, it would have take 3 minutes to go the same distance.  'Trapped' is all in the eye of the beholder.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

swedes on the island? swedes know how to party, I've heard...  

Lil Me

Ja.  Swedes know how to party.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Any of you remember the beer ads with the Swedish Bikini Team?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

nope, but i know of this swedish techno guy who just has swedish girls dancing around in his videos, winking. lol

Van

It sounds like Fernie with Aussies. They took over that hill and are a rather fun bunch.

|