Skiers, Boarders UNITE!

Started by Van Dude, Mar 06 08 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Michel

Sportsdude

Gabriola Island folks are protesting one of these days this week, I think it was today, about the raising of the rates again by B.C. ferries. Don't think it will do any good, nobody on the mainland seems to worry about the ferries being the life blood of the island. Plus its not like the Liberals will ever listen and the NDP has all the ridings except 2 on the island. So now real urgency on the govt to freeze rates or anything; even though campbell says its "private" its not "private". The big german boat is now ready to start sailing, the 3 month training of the employees in how to read german is over. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Sportsdude

haha

yeah I'm unofficially calling the new cruise ship the Kiaserin/Hessian/Prussian/Pride of Duetschland the Rock stock and Barrell.

lol

Sportsdude

Michel wrote:
Das Boot, wonderful movie.

Read german ? WTF are you talking about, they translated the stuff obviously. German do speak English. English speakers do speak nothing except English. Untermenschen ! pff !

lol it's a long running dig and gordo. The boat could of been built in Victoria, creating jobs in Victoria for the boat industry, yet he had some business deal with the Germans in Rostock, built the boat and then B.C. tax payer has to pay this huge import tax because Gordo's cruise liner just had to be built in Germany at the expense to the Victoria shipbuilders.
in my circles and from walking around town (there's this Victoria ignores Vancouver Island alienation going around, from the forests being all privately owned, to the ferries)

Van

So...how about Mount Washington...skiing on the Island...

LOL, I do love the way the topics just drift in so many different directions. It's funny!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

lol....true Van.  We do have a tendency to digress.

I'm going to do it some more.

Michel....the 'trapped' feeling wears off as soon as you realize that you don't need to be so connected to the mainland.  I wept for months when I first moved here, but within the year, it became clear that you couldn't pay me to go back....and I'd llived in Vancouver my whole life.

Boots, straps, snow, hills and ski lifts.  (there)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Michel

Van

Ah, being "trapped" on Vancouver Island, sounds like a pretty sweet prison to me. The only part I would have a problem with is access to the Kootenays. My soul was there, I just had to find it and it is pulling me that direction. But I could totally see not missing Vancouver if I lived on the Island, like Michel, it would be the access to the rest of BC that would be hard. I am born and raised in Vancouver and, well, Blechhhh!!!

I want to live in Riondel. Anyone know where that is? It is a small, tiny town on a dead end highway, off the main highway turnoff from the ferry at Kootenay Lake. Far away from any city. Just lush forest and a quick drive to Whitewater and Nelson. I will move there, someday hopefully soon.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

I forgot to mention, Riondel is right on the lake...ahh.. to dream!!

Sportsdude

Island's been tough for me, it's been hard to find canadian friends, ones that will actually want to do something with you. Apparently I'm not the only American in town with the same problem. Counsellor at school who was from the midwest as well, had the same issues. I find everyone to be super friendly, but they don't really want anything to do with you. I don't know if its political related or not, but the hate I get from my roommate tells me there's something there... All of my friends aren't Canadian. *shrugs*

I think I said earlier that the island especially living in Nanaimo, will drive you mad if you don't leave the town and explore. Once you get out of town and outside, this place is awesome. Maybe its the dorms lol.

then there's no gf or family around but that's not the island's fault but it does play into the "i'm trapped" feeling.

Lil Me

I drove through there a couple years ago, Van.  Stopped for a few hours in Kootenay Bay waiting for the ferry.  Beautiful country.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|