What are you craving for?

Started by purelife, Feb 20 08 04:22

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

Was this on the second floor? (main floor)? Or is it in the basement?

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

OMG.....now THAT'S a flashback.  I remember the Woolworths lunch counter.  It used to be next door to Saba Bros. WOW !

Thanks for the explanation Lil Me.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Main floor or basement where the Pit is.  

Lil Me

The SUB cafeteria was on the main floor.  Then, in the basement there used to be a pasta place around the corner from The Pit.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

I LOVED the food at Woolworth's.  I wonder if Zellers has anything close.  Should I attempt it?  Fries, gravy and root beer.  How badly could they screw it up?!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Yeah that's still there, it's run by the greedy university. For the Students by the Students profits to the Students is downstairs. The cafeteria you talk about is a blight in the building as its for profit and is only there because the need for the University to get its hand in everything.

Downstairs is
The Honour Roll
The Noodle
Bubble Tea
Sprouts
The Pit
Deli/Bakery
Greek place

When they start building the new building in 2012 to open in 2014, hopefully the place is clean of the filth and its just a place for students free from international capitalism. (That's what the old building, this building was going to be but Student Governments are weak here and bowed to pressure).

lol I'm sounding like the Grad students.

Sportsdude

Speaking of Student Governments what the heck is going up on the mountain at SFU. They've allowed Starbucks to invade.

Michel

Sportsdude

I think I've seen it in drink form.
Always drank the Stalin martini

The People's Guide to UBC: An International Journal of Radical Students
1. We believe in Democracy
2. We believe in Students
3. We believe in empowerment
4. We believe in community

"We seek a liberation from the dictatorship of the economy over everyday life."

It's a good read. Only problem I have with the group is that they're not all encompassing thus they don't become a true force. They go after the RBF for example mock them for their partying schemes and their one issue: having fun on campus and fighting the police. The two should work together but there's too many loggerheads on both sides and its a shame.

Anyway CASA is a freaking joke. Mysterious Student Union Org made up of Canadian schools who secretly plot behind close doors and never tell you what they're doing.

Lil Me

Sportsdude wrote:
Speaking of Student Governments what the heck is going up on the mountain at SFU. They've allowed Starbucks to invade.
 --
 LOL.  A food services contractor is a food services contractor.  The university negotiates the contract.  More food services revenue means more $$$ in public education.  I know this isn't the way things ought to be, but....

The Student Society runs the pub.

ADD: When I was at SFU, my department's student society ran a pop machine in the student lounge that was stocked and sold at pretty much cost ($0.50/can for brand-name Coke products).  This was a huge violation of the food services contract between the university and the food contractor, but fortunately noone made a big issue about it.

Lil Me

Has anyone eaten at Zellers?  Report...good, bad or ugly?  

Van

I am craving my mom's lasagna!!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

money to universities doesn't mean education for UBC it means more residential neighbourhoods on campus and construction and upkeep of the flower gardens.

Last year Film Studies died and then was resurrected.
Budgets are being slashed, programmes are in chaos and yet UBC has a surplus. It's not going to the students.

Therefore, university food services are not for the students. The only organization that is for the students is the students themselves. They have no ally in student government, in the Senate, on the board. So its fight to keep what we have, push for something that we should have and then get it in 10yrs after concessions by the trustees.

add:
UBC has the lowest on campus student housing ratio in the country
UBC makes their students pay off campus rent fees (vancouver prices) and not something cheaper
UBC is more concerned with image, building new buildings and their neighbourhoods
UBC isn't concerned about student housing, they rather have villages full of 40-70 year olds on campus in expensive condos as they commute to work in downton. How is this sustainable?
UBC hates UBC Farm
UBC doesn't give their students an actual voice in decision making
UBC has been taken over by the shady CASA organization who do absolutely nothing as a student government.
UBC has the highest ratio of assistant profs in Canada
UBC did its own internal study and it came out that the profs hate the students

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
Has anyone eaten at Zellers?  Report...good, bad or ugly?  

Van wrote:
I am missing my moms lasagne!

This is a good answer.

I remember eating at a zellers at one point.. it was either on the island or out in Slurry, and the food was your typical thing you would have food at woodwards and such.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Sweet!  Next week I'm going to go EAT!!!

|