Yes
2 (50%)
No
1 (25%)
Maybe
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Lise

Out of curiosity, if you had lost a bunch of teeth and were given the option of having free teeth implants, would you do it?

There was a research into this recently and surprisingly quite a few ppl actually turned down this free offer. Most were afraid of surgery, the majority that chose not to do implants prefer to just wear dentures or do crowns/bridges.

Image of tooth implant.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

JJ

I would have to discuss that with my dentist.  I have several crowns now and my dentist is very good with crowns, so I think I would lean in that direction.

Lil Me

If I had no teeth, I'd accept free anything.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

I was actually quite surprised about tooth implants and how many ppl are not too keen on it. It's a relatively 'easy' procedure to do but there are associated risk with failing implants. However if the implant was done correctly, you'll have a 'new' tooth without the hassle of a denture or bridge. I would certainly do it in a hearbeat if I could afford it. Heck, I'd be first in line if it were offer free to me.

Anyways, interesting to hear your responses. Thanks!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I've heard the recovery is a little lengthy ?  You have to wait for the bone to heal before they can procede ....is this true?  Makes sense, if they are drilling into your jaw bone.

Anyways, I think I would do it for free....but it doesn't even come close to something I'd consider taking a second and  third mortgage out for.

A friend of ours had his done....$40 grand for all the work he had done....THEN within the next year, chemo made all that work and money for nothing.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

That's sad.

But I'd be willing to lose the teeth if I was still alive....

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

P.C. wrote:
I've heard the recovery is a little lengthy ?  You have to wait for the bone to heal before they can procede ....is this true?  Makes sense, if they are drilling into your jaw bone.

you need to wait at least 6 months after an extraction to allow bone to fill in in the cavity before drilling to implanting the screw,  follow by another six months for the bone to grow around the screw.

I was looking at one after I extracted an upper back tooth.  My dentist told me that could not be done because the deep drilling is too close to my sinus cavity and recommended a bridge (most inplants are done on the lower teeth).  I'm debating whether to screwup two perfectly good teeth to do the bridge

P.C.

A friend of ours had his done....$40 grand for all the work he had done....THEN within the next year, chemo made all that work and money for nothing.

I guess I should clarify this.....he is OK now.  I meant to say that the chemo and his illness caused all kinds of havoc with his gums.

49er, I had no idea the process took THAT long.  I'm changing my mind.  I wouldn't do it even for free. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a035.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

I wouldn't do it if I was paid for it.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lil Me

Gophers have naturally good teeth.

Gopher

Aw, Lil Me, you sure do say the sweetest things. (bless)    
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

I've heard the recovery is a little lengthy ?  

Recovery rates differ from patient to patient. For a younger patient, the recovery rate is faster than an older patient.

You have to wait for the bone to heal before they can procede ....is this true?  Makes sense, if they are drilling into your jaw bone.

Not necessary. There are some implants that are done on the spot. For example, you walk in with a banged-up tooth and the next thing you know, the tooth is out and an implant is put in its place. We are so advanced that we can literally do this procedure within an hour or so. Depending on the dentist and procedure, the pin can be placed into the hole, bone graft may be filled to surround the implant and a flap done to cover it up so healing can take place.

Some dentist will even put the implant in complete with a fake tooth with no flap so you walk out a tooth. Of course, you will have to return to get the matching color and to get post-op treatment.

Anyways, I think I would do it for free....but it doesn't even come close to something I'd consider taking a second and  third mortgage out for.

Considering the alternative like a bridge or denture, I would take the implant in a heartbeat. It is an exciting time in dentistry when a procedure like this can be done. Though having said this... I would prefer a periodontist who specialized in this rather than a general dentist who do it on the side perform on me.

Qui. There is always a risk involve. One doesn't know what might happen 1 year or 10 years down the road. Too many external factors that you cannot control and chemo is one of them. Sorry to hear that about your friend.  
Bill Cosby.