Memory

Started by purelife, Jan 10 08 09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

How far back in age can you remember certain events in your life?  Do you have more of a selective memory?

Michel

Lise

Probably selective memory. I can't remember when but I do remember drinking from a bottle one day then saying no shortly afterwards. Have never touched the bottle since then.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

I have two or three memories from when I was four years old and one from some time before.

I wonder how (or if) we can remember things before we have a vocabulary?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

I remember being in the womb... just kidding. ;)

I actually remember being in Alberta when I was like 4ish and had to walk home by myself.  My dad had dropped me off to this daycare place and he had left on his bike.  I went to the door and it was closed.  I was then crying all the way home.  I actually found my way home by myself and my mom was amazed that I had walked all by myself for that long of a distance.  She said that it was really far!    

Lil Me

Oh wow.  That's quite a story.

I do think memory is a function of language/vocabulary.  I have early childhood memories (around age 1?) but I was a very chatty kid.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

I always wonder how (and if) babies think, because they always look as though they do.

purelife

And when babies think, they look sooooooo serious, it's just too cute!

Gopher

Isn't it strange how all new life seems to have built-in cuteness? I wonder what happens to it and why it doesn't last (apart from in some all too rare instances).

JJ

My earliest memories are from when I was 4. My husband claims to be about to remember back to one.

Lil Me

I remember all kids of things from before age 4.

The opening of Robson Square
The opening of Park Royal South
When Coquitlam Centre was new
(my grandfather worked in construction, and used to take me to see new buildings he worked on)

Recently, I saw photos of the UN exhibit Habitat (with lots of white little pyramids on the lawn of the Vancouver Art Gallery).  I remembered seeing that before, and I was about 1 when it went up.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I have really scattered memories, but nothing concrete.  I think a lot of memories for me are more a memory of the stories told...not necessarily that I actually remember the event.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

When you guys recall a memory, which of your senses are heightened?  Do you hear the noises around you, see them in color?  

Lil Me

I only smell purple lol.

P.C.

Actually, smell triggers more familiarity with my childhood than anything.  Every once in a while, when I cook a roast pork, and the fireplace is going...I always think of my grandmas' place.  But it's odd, because it doesn't always smell like grandmas....only once in a long while.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.