Planet Earth

Started by P.C., Jan 01 08 09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Has anyone seen this incredible work ?  It is amazing.  Truly spectacular filming of things and places most of us will never see.  Get it, rent it, borrow it....whatever.  But see it. (omg...I sound like a commercial or like I have shares in it)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Hey PC!

I think that I've seen it.

A wee bit off topic - I did watch National Geographic's Artic Tale where Queen Latifah is the narrator.  AWESOME AWESOME and soooo darn cute... (not so cute when the lil ones get eaten by the polar bears.)  You might enjoy it if you're into these types of documentaries.

Have you seen March of the Penguin?!  I haven't yet but heard that it's one of the best documentary out there and definitely worth owning.      

P.C.

March of the Penguins IS really good (if you're into that kind of thing....which I am)  I got it for Christmas last year....and hub got the Planet Earth this year.  It's several hours long and worth every minute.

Michel

purelife

I mentioned planet earth to my guy and he knew what I was talking about.  He was going to buy it at Costco's the other day. We're going to get it FOR SURE!  

Blue Planet also looks very interesting as well.

Heya Michel. :)

P.C.

The original British version with the voice of David Attenbourough is supposely way more superior that the American one with the voice of Sigourney Weaver.

We have the one with David Attenbourough.  I can't wait to watch another couple hours of it, but I want to wait to watch it with hubby, so it will probably be Sunday.  Then I think I'll watch the whole thing again.

I'll look into the others you mentioned Michel.  Thanks

Michel

Gopher

I've been watching it too. It really is brilliant. The BBC seems to have a certain knack when it comes to 'these sorts of things'.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Would you guys say that Planet Earth is better than National Geographic?

Michel

Gopher

Yes, I'd also say it was better than National Geographic: especially for its 'overview'.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Actually Gophie....I think I'm undecided on that one.  The Planet Earth is more a feast for your eyes.  It IS however, a little lacking in identifying what you are looking at.  (unlike National Geographic which includes an education in what you are looking at)

One thing I noticed watching the Planet Earth, (there were 6 of us watching) that between the OOO's and AHHH's, were a lot of..."what IS that"......"what is THAT"........"WHAT is THAT"....... Lots of rewinding to see if we had missed something.  But we hadn't.    

purelife

The best price I saw for Planet Earth was $52 at Costco's in the States.  We'll be buying two later on.

Michel

P.C.

Yea....I agree with that Michel.  It doesn't take away from it at all.  That's kind of what I meant that it is an overall feast for the eyes.  It sure isn't a complaint....I LOVE it.

That IS a good price purelife...but if the narrator is an issue for you, you can get the British version online for $69.  Everywhere else I looked, they were $99.