For or against the use of Tasers

Started by P.C., Nov 24 07 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I've flip flopped all over the place with my thoughts around this issue.

In spite of the recent tragedy, I reasoned that we should do away with the inept users....not the tasers....and I also reasoned that there have been equally as many people wrongfully shot with a gun, and we wouldn't dream of taking away law enforcers guns.

However....after watching several clips of police misusing these things, I'm not so sure anymore.  It looked like these things are used for simply pissing off the user.  One clip even showed a woman getting zapped AFTER she was in the police cruiser IN HANDCUFFS.  I realize that the clips shown were biased.....and I'm sure they are more an example of 'bad cops' over bad 'tools'.

What are your thoughts?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

JJ

I've heard of too many kids killed because they pulled a knife on a cop to want to get rid of tasers.   They do  need to limit tasers use to the same as guns, in cases where the cops life is in danger.

P.C.

That was my original thought also....but it appears that life threatening situations, isn't only when they're being used.  When you're dealing with human nature, there will always be those who misuse their power no matter what training is given.  I guess it needs to made clearer in their training that the taser is potentially as lethal as a gun.

(I'm surprised that 'taser' hasn't even made its way to spell-check yet)

Sportsdude

Most Taser incidents are when then the person of interest isn't doing any harm, and is not agressive.
See John Kerry's speech, a student was speaking up and they just tasered him, the guy who died, the guy who died in Nova Scotia, the guy who almost died in Quebec. Tasers are the new batalion for police. They're trained that they won't kill anybody so they just taser away whenever they feel like it.

In more cases then not Tasers are used in a "you're being annoying I'm going to shut you up" scenario. That's not ethically right and is police brutality.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]Most Taser incidents[/FONT] are when then the person of interest isn't doing any harm, and is not agressive.

I doubt that's the case SD.  Most taser incidents of this nature, is what makes the news....not necessarily an accurate representation of taser use in general.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]In more cases then not[/FONT] Tasers are used in a "you're being annoying I'm going to shut you up" scenario. That's not ethically right and is police brutality.

Again....that's what we see on the news, not necessarily an accurate....................

All I know is, after seeing 'what the news wants me to see' it made be rethink some things. I'm usually most supportive of the police, but I was starting to feel a little shakey about that, but I think it's too easy to get a lopsided view of things as a result of the way 'the news' chooses to put a slant on things.

Maybe we need to clean up how the news is reported instead....lol

Sportsdude

after the polish incident they released a study conducted by the RCMP themselves that said, tasers are used in non violent situations. But in the end it doesn't matter, nobody is going to ban these things.  

P.C.

Really?  That was fast.  I know there has been talk to investigate this....but I didn't know they had done it already.  I'm amazed they could do such a study so quickly.  The Canadian Press has just released a study from cases covering from 2002 to 2005.

JJ

I realize that tasers aren't currently used only during life threatening situations, but I think that is what is needed.   I can't see a ban on tasers, they just need to be better regulated.

Sportsdude

i don't know what it was i just heard it in passing. Wouldn't shock me though, most of time i've seen taser used is in non threatening times.  

P.C.

I think that's my conclusion too JJ.  (It was also my initial thought, but was starting to waiver a bit)  I think it's an effective tool if used properly.  Any weapon in the wrong hands is a recipe for disaster.....and that includes some of the RCMP that are using this for compliance instead of as a life saving tool.

I would be interested to know some comparisons of how many people have been shot in the same manner that has called attention to the tasers. As in....shot while unarmed, by mistake, by accident....etc.

Sportsdude

RCMP kills another
[a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071124/custody_death_071124/20071124?hub=TopStories"]Link[/a]

JJ

Amnesty International's continuing concerns about taser use:

[A href="http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php?lang=e&id=ENGAMR510302006"]http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php?lang=e&id=ENGAMR510302006[/A]

P.C.

I think we need to be careful of how that kind of information is presented, SD.  On the heals of the Robert Dsiekanski case, it would be too easy to water down the effectiveness of the police, if everything is presented as a careless or excessive action.  As much as it is sad that this twit has died.....it in no way belongs in the same context as Dziekanski's needless death.

I think saying "RCMP kills another" casts an implication that it does. (at least that's the way I read it)

Witnesses told CTV British Columbia last week Knipstrom had been driving erratically before entering a Chilliwack business. He appeared to be extremely agitated and became even more so when he learned that police had been called.

When police arrived on the scene, "they encountered a very aggressive individual and the members, as we are informed at this point and time, were engaged in a very difficult struggle to control this person who was combative and aggressive,"  

They even needed to call in back-up for this one.

P.C.

Yipes.....that's a pretty disturbing read JJ.  I'll actually have to finish the rest later.  

I see I'm still all over the map on this issue.  

Sportsdude

while true, rcmp has a history of having people die in custody and since rcmp is the only police force body in besides quebec in canada, they do get scrutinized more.

i just don't like to see rcmp investigate themselves. that's like instead of having the government in the states investigate enron, enron investigates itself. lol