Smoking Salmon, Beef Jerky

Started by Russ, Nov 06 07 10:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Anyone Done this? Ive done this a number of times now and trying new recipe's. Not too bad but it takes a long time to smoke. Im using Luhr Jensens Little Chief smokers.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2kc53bb5a2ff.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2kc53bb5a2ff.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2kc53bb5a2ff.jpg" border=0]

Ive used thick then thinly shaved chips.. Thin seems to work ok.

I marinate the night before, and let it soak till the next day. Then take out and let sit on paper towels to get rid of the marinade.. some recipes say to rinse off. I rinse off my salmon, but not the beef.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2k3337c8c1c0.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2k3337c8c1c0.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2k3337c8c1c0.jpg" border=0][img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2ka472ee084b.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2ka472ee084b.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2ka472ee084b.jpg" border=0]

Then you get the racks, place them on.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2k2378b0cdbb.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2k2378b0cdbb.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2k2378b0cdbb.jpg" border=0]  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2kb907b69d29.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2kb907b69d29.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2kb907b69d29.jpg" border=0]

Then put the pot filled with the smoking wood shavings in on the electric plate on the bottom,

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick="self.parent.InsertSymbol('[img border=0 src=/forums/richedit/upload/2kcec75aba93.jpg] ');self.parent.close_insert_pop();" alt="image file name: 2kcec75aba93.jpg" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/upload/2kcec75aba93.jpg" border=0]

put racks in, close top, and periodically check. I like to move my racks from top to bottom and such. I will also at times flip thick pieces over halfway through the smoking. You dont want to continuously add chips as the smoking is only for flavour.. the heat from the smouldering wood and from the electric element on teh bottom is what will dry out the meat.

So... anyone else here done this and any recipes?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Hey Russ.....awesome !

I have never done this, but have always wanted to.  The salmon you are smoking.....does this come out like 'Indian Candy'.....or the lox ?  (I know nadda about these things)

The guys that did our roof brought over some homemade jerky, and it was the best I've ever had.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

My guy's mom and her husband does this all the time with their catch for the day.  I love their salmon jerky.  I'll ask them how they smoke their salmon, the next time I see them. :)

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 I have never done this, but have always wanted to.  The salmon you are smoking.....does this come out like 'Indian Candy'.....or the lox ?  (I know nadda about these things)   I dont either to be honest.. I make a poor witness on this, sorry. lol. But the salmon tastes wicked awesome.. its got that soft moist like the ones that you get in the store but still harder on the outside.

Lil Me

I smoke cigarattes on occasion, but not meat.  LOL  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

purelife wrote:
 My guy's mom and her husband does this all the time with their catch for the day.  I love their salmon jerky.  I'll ask them how they smoke their salmon, the next time I see them. :)[/DIV]
 We canned all of the fish we caught in rivers inlet.. didnt save any for smoking, so the fish I did is pacific salmon I bought from Costco.

Please do... i forget the recipee I used.. but it was good. lol. Now I have to do three again to find the one I liked.  

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
I smoke cigarattes on occasion, but not meat.  LOL  
  Morning Lil Me.. Really?

'bless'

<does excited fist jabbing in the air> Yess... another sinner in our midst.    

purelife

You do LM?  Smoke cigarettes or the other kind of smoke?

Lil Me

haha.  Regular smokes, but only if there's a ton of booze involved.
 Can't smoke the green stuff.  Gives me diaharrea.

ADD:  Sorry I hijacked your thread, Russ.  Back to the discussion about beef and salmon.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Wow, I didn't know.  Blesses to you, LM for revealing a secret. ;)

How appropriate! hee heee

[TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]se[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]clo[/TD] [TD]t[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT type=hidden value=c29011159fa466d5284307fad79a5d4b name=sauce_check][INPUT size=10 value=closet name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][INPUT accessKey=s onclick="return scheck(); return submitThisOnce(this);" tabIndex=3 type=submit value=Post name=post] [INPUT accessKey=p onclick="return (typeof(document.postmodify.attachmentPreview) == "undefined" || !document.postmodify.attachmentPreview.value || confirm('You will have to reattach any attachments, continue with preview?')) && submitThisOnce(this);" tabIndex=4 type=submit value=Preview name=preview][img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"]

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
haha.  Regular smokes, but only if there's a ton of booze involved.
Can't smoke the green stuff.  Gives me diaharrea.

ADD:  Sorry I hijacked your thread, Russ.  Back to the discussion about beef and salmon.

you can 'hijack' anytime!

Sportsdude

all that fish makes me want to go fishing.

where'd you get the dead end sign ;)

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Russ- I hope you ain't gonna be hanging your laundry on those fish racks!  

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
all that fish makes me want to go fishing.

where'd you get the dead end sign ;)

Thats not very much fish at all... thats like l/8 if that of the other fish I was catching up in Rivers Inlet. Normal sized fish you catch tho now are about that size :(

I honestly couldnt tell you other than a dead end? I think some of my friends showed up drunk at my place one night with it. I havent gotten rid of it yet obviously, lol.

purelife

Lil Me wrote:
Russ- I hope you ain't gonna be hanging your laundry on those fish racks!  
   especially underwear and socks.