It's Stupid Question Time....

Started by P.C., Oct 22 07 04:33

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

My specialty.

I want to know what you would call the profession where you do window designs and the like.  I don't mean drapes or valances....but setting up merchandise in a store window.

If I put window designer in Google, it brings up Windows....like shapes of window, and curtains and such.

There must be a name for it.....why oh why can't I think of what it is.

Help ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

No questions are stupid!

I think it's called "retail staging"?
 Here's a website for someone who does this in the U.S.:
 [a href="http://www.upislandhome.com/index.html"]http://www.upislandhome.com/index.html[/a]

A friend of mine used to work at Coquitlam Centre (for quite a few stores) and do their displays at night- windows, re-arrange clothing on racks, etc.  I remember when she told me all the stores were changing their layout so the women's clothes were on the right and the men's clothing on the left.  Apparently, that's the way men and women nataurally gravitate.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Oh I like that Lil Me.  That isn't the direction my mind was going.....but it works.  Thanks.  I have decided for my resume, that that's what I am.....rofl. (I have actually done this work before....but as everything these days has a label to it....I  thought I'd best use the latest terminology.)

Do you think that 'staging' is directly related to the 'science' of layout....or the 'design' of it ?

I remember reading an article about the layouts of department stores based on studies that men will naturally gravitate in one direction and the women another.  Who'd a thunk.

49er

its called window dressing  

P.C.

That's the direction I was thinking, but do you think it covers all types of retail display?

Michel

P.C.

Display Designer works.  That best describes what I'm after.  (there is still another name badwordling around in the back of my mind.)

Thank you all.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a194.gif" border=0]

JJ

P.C.

Thanks JJ.....I like that one too.

While I'm on a roll......here's another stupid question that I've been curious about for the longest time.

This is a computer question.

When you have copies of digital photos (or any pictures for that matter) in more than one folder, does each one take up hard-drive space?  For example....I have about 5 different photo programs....each one with copies of the same photos in each.  Is this sucking up space for each one ?  (I hope that made sense)  

Sawdust

Unless it is only a shortcut to the original, each location will occupy extra space.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]  You mean I just could have asked you ?

*If this long distance question thing works.....I have a million more.

P.C.

Well, I think I just freed up half our hard-drive.  

Michel

Lise

Window Dressing or Staging... though I'm more inclined to call it staging. It sounds more professional.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.