A serious topic for you

Started by Trollio, Mar 19 06 03:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollio

Here's a serious topic for you nuns.

I notice that this board is powered by SMF. How do those who have experience compare SMF with phpBB? From a very quick glance I don't see too much that SMF has that phpBB doesn't.

Perhaps those who know what the hell I'm talking about can give me their thoughts on why they like it?

TehBorken

I've tried them both, and I'll never run another phpBB system again.

For one thing, phpBB has tons of hackable holes. Tons and tons. I've seen way too many phpBB systems hacked and flattened to ever trust the software. SMF has relatively few. If you veiw the security advisories for both boards you'll see that phpBB has many more vulverabilities, some of them months old.

SMF has a lot of features, at least as many as phpBB if not more. A lot of the features are turned off here, but you can go to the SMF site and see a full list.

SMF is also written very well in my opinion. It has a very good administrative back end
 and a lot of 'anti-trolling' controls built in.

Just my 2¢.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

Thanks for that. I really do appreciate the feedback. Your comments will make me take another look at that today, and possibly use SMF for two boards I have to set up this week. I'm looking for ease in customization and set-up more than anti-hacking capability, but it's good to hear it from someone who has worked with both.  :)

weird al

>"has many more vulverabilities"

...freudian?

Trollio

One more Q for TehBorken:

I've noticed that there are some spacing issues here that I've not found elsewhere. It's not just my posts either, I've seen it in others. The only reason my posts aren't comingoutlikethis now is because I switched off Rich Text. Is this a platform related issue or something else?

TehBorken

Trollio wrote:
I've noticed that there are some spacing issues here that I've not found elsewhere. It's not just my posts either, I've seen it in others. The only reason my posts aren't comingoutlikethis now is because I switched off Rich Text. Is this a platform related issue or something else?

I think this is fixed now. It was an issue with replacing carriage returns in the Rich Text Editor mode.

Trollio

Following up:

Just want to say thanks to TehBorken for the advice. SMF is clearly the better product, and while it may not have as many "ready-made" themes, if you know PHP it's just as easy to customize.

TehBorken

Trollio wrote:
Just want to say thanks to TehBorken for the advice. SMF is clearly the better product, and while it may not have as many "ready-made" themes, if you know PHP it's just as easy to customize.

The theme setup is pretty straight-forward and the code is very well commented. I'd considered doing an alternate theme (or two) here but it's been a low priority. Overall I've been very impressed with SMF from top to bottom and I'll no doubt use it on other sites as well. It's free, and it's better than some message boards I've paid hundreds of $$$ for.

tenkani

Trollio, make a profile so I can give you some karma love    

Have you ever gotten a hot oil massage from a nun?
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Lise

Methinks Trollio would prefer a hump insead.

Is Trollio............... gunta??? * wondering *
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Trollio

To Lise:

I am not Gunta.  I am many others on DV, and it seems that I have just recently been "timed out" on DV for the "sins" of other more vicious trolls, but I am also not the following:

- ∑ ∑ D
 - Panhof
 - COUNTRY
 - the real Superstar (although by now that name has been so thoroughly jacked to death by everyone I have to admit to getting in on the game with great glee)
 - Dude Man Guy

I'm also not anyone who has ever played a really nasty trick on the board (e.g. goatse stuff), although I do confess to attacking a couple of racist posts with redirects to G-rated sites.

I am, alas, a troll.  

Trollio

tenkani wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Trollio, make a profile so I can give you some karma love     [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Have you ever gotten a hot oil massage from a nun?[/div]

As you can see, it is done.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Legion

News flash. I'm still a troll.

For me being a troll has something to do with anxiety.

I guess I don't like to be ignored. lol.  
curses!

tenkani

You don't like to be ignored, yet when I offered you a steaming plate of hot man love you turned me down      
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

purelife

Legion wrote:
News flash. I'm still a troll.

For me being a troll has something to do with anxiety.

I guess I don't like to be ignored. lol.  

I say hi but you don't say hi back....  Me so sad.... :(