What's for Thanksgiving Dinner this year?

Started by Lil Me, Oct 06 07 04:45

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

baking chicken, veggies, mashed turnips, rice....  

Sportsdude

it has to do with harvest time being later in the year, plus its got cultural meaning, pilgrims first meal etc. So its used by the religious right now as "see the country is christian" lol.

harvest falls later and lincoln was big into parties so they did the thursday as the holiday, therefore people get friday off as well.

[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_%28United_States%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_%28United_States%29[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

....and for the other half of the explanation....

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been futilely attempting to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did, however, establish a settlement in Canada. In the year 1578, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This event is widely considered to be the first Canadian Thanksgiving, and the first official Thanksgiving to occur in North America.

It should be noted that the 1578 ceremony was not the first Thanksgiving as defined by First Nations tradition. Long before the time ofMartin Frobisher, it was traditional in many First Nations cultures to offer an official giving of thanks during autumnal gatherings.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

so serving turkey has no historical meaning in Canadian Thanksgiving?

Sportsdude

GORDY GAMBINO

So why the turkey?
Where does this come into the equation.???
I thought Thanksgiving was American not Canadian.
If it is Canuckian as you suggest why do the Americans celebrate it???.
Or is Canada really just the lackey of the USA????.
And why is USA not refered to as South Canada if you have the matter so much in control??.
And why are there so many Canuckians on this forum if Seattle is in the USA.??
CAPO DI TUTTI CAPPI

purelife

Well Gordy, all I know is that it's about 14 bucks for a turkey down in the States and here, it's double or even triple that price!    

Lise

Hey ja!! A turkey is so damn expensive here! I saw one at Superstore, mega huge bird that's selling for $99!! Uncooked!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

how big? The turkey last night was huge, turkey's at home are just chickens on roids.  

purelife

A hundred dollars?!  For real, Lise?!  It must've been WAY BIGGER than my oven.  HOLY MOLY!  

Russ

It depends what size of turkey lurkey you get and what type it is. I usually get around a 20+ pound turkey thats prestuffed for like 30-40 bucks. We do turkeys at least once a month. Its not so much the turkey dinner that Im after.. its the sandwiches and turkey soup thats made that I eat for a week afterwards!

There was no thanksgiving celebration where I was. Myself and the other canadian onboard forgot about it, and pretty much treated it as just another day.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

I don't actually like roast turkey.  I'd rather eat chicken.  This year, my extended family went out for buffet and there was a choice of turkey or lamb.  I ate lamb for Thanksgiving.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Lamb? My favourite meat. As for thanksgiving, I ate 'everything' as it was combined with a 90th birthday party.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Me too Gophie.. me love lamb!  I wish that it wasn't so expensive because otherwise, I'd have it more often.  I only have my lamb when I head down to Stepho's.  $10 for a huge roast lamb with greek potatoes, salad and rice and some mix of veggies.  YUM!  I gotta go down there again...  

Lil Me

My grandmother buys some frozen lamb leg roasts that aren't too expensive.  At T&T I think.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|