Any info on working with arborite ?

Started by P.C., Mar 18 06 01:08

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Has anyone done this ?  I can't believe a google search is not turning up this info.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that 'beveled edge' on the corners of arborite.  Is this just done with a router or is it planed ????    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to get that 'beveled edge' on the corners of arborite.  Is this just done with a router or is it planed ????  

It's done with a router. I've seen jigs that hold a plane at the right angle to do it but it never works right. Hardware stores sell a particular kind of router blade made for beveling  Formica and Arborite and similar materials.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Excellent TehBorken.  Thanks so much.  I don't want to screw this up.  At 60 bucks a sheet, and three sheets for the job.  I knew there had to be something....just didn't know what it was.  

Witch

And spend the extra couple of bux for the carbide bit. If you cheap out and try to use the high speed steel bits you'll only end up burning and chipping the arborite

P.C.

Thanks witch....I never cheap out on tools.  The old adage, 'A poor workman blames his tools' doesn't apply when you cheap out.  Good advice.