Your man making you fat? Guy-proof your diet

Started by Sportsdude, Oct 03 07 08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

lol. we get blamed for everything. more helpful tips by clicking the link.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
[em]Does being in love somehow pack on the pounds? Keep the man but lose the fatty foods! "Women's Health" magazine tells how you can guy-proof your diet and use healthier substitutes:[/em][p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]If you've always suspected that love makes you fat, you can now feel vindicated, according to the October issue of "Women's Health" magazine. Last April, a report published by the Human Nutrition Research Centre at Newcastle University in England found that women tend to eat more foods that are higher in sugar and fat, and to exercise less, after moving in with a male counterpart.[/p][span id="byLine"][/span]We've all been in that situation. It's a Sunday afternoon during football season and your significant other is deciding between pizza, nachos and a burrito and now that he's talking about it, so are you. But be careful: At best, women burn about 26 percent fewer calories a day then guys do, so if you mimic his eating habits, you could end up piling on the pounds.

His habit: Pretending vegetables don't exist

Research backs up what you already knew: Men and brussels sprouts do not mix. A recent survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of more than 300,000 people found that 10 percent more women than men eat three or more vegetables a day.

Your damage: Fewer veggies mean more of everything else. Trade one cup of steamed broccoli for the same portion of cooked rice, and you add 150 calories to your meal. To burn off the difference, you'd have to run at 5 mph for about 20 minutes.

Slim solution: Getting him to go green may be easier than you think. According to a survey by the National Cancer Institute, only 5 percent of the men surveyed said they don't like the taste of fruits and vegetables. So while your guy might not realize that tomato sauce alone doesn't fill his five-a-day quota, he also isn't likely to object if you send some chopped salad his way. Force yourself to throw some frozen, prechopped veggies (the kind with no added sauces or seasonings) into the supermarket cart. Then, at dinner, heat up a cup or two of chopped onions, peppers, broccoli florets, green and yellow wax beans, or spinach and mix them into your usual cooked rice or pasta. You'll be replacing processed carbs with filling fiber: Eating a cup and a half of frozen mixed Oriental-style veggies with a half-cup of cooked rice also saves you 130 calories, versus eating two cups of rice alone — enough to prevent a 14-pound weight gain every year.

His habit: Nonstop prime-time munching
If only yelling at the screen during [span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]football[/span] (canadianized) hockey season were his worst habit. Turns out watching "Heroes" while you eat may make you lose track of that hero sandwich. A recent study at Johns Hopkins University found that the more people were into what was on the tube, the less aware they were of how much mac and cheese they were inhaling.

Your damage: No one, not even Gandhi, can resist delicious, crunchy snack foods that are right in front of them. But a 120-pound woman burns only about 54 calories an hour watching TV (a 180-pound man burns 74 calories per hour).

Putting away half a canister of Pringles during three hours of "Monday Night Football" leaves you with a 315-calorie surplus. That adds up to about one-tenth of a pound of fat per game.

Slim solution: First, you're better off watching a boring sports event than an easy-to-love show like "Big Love" or "Weeds." The Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago released a study in June showing that TV viewers ate an average of 44 percent more potato chips while watching a program they found entertaining, says Dr. Alan Hirsch, M.D., the foundation's neurological director. Are you as into the game as he is? Then fill a giant bowl with some light microwave popcorn and munch away. Most brands contain just 20 to 25 calories per cup popped, so even if you scarf six cups, you've consumed only 150 calories — the amount in less than one-sixth of a can of Pringles.

His habit: Meals on wheels
Count the Big Mac wrappers under his passenger's seat and you'll realize that most men live for the drive-through. A 2006 Mintel online survey of 2,000 people found that men eat fast food more often than women, and tend to choose burgers and French fries over salads and other healthy options.

Your damage: Sharing a ride makes you captive to his drive-through addiction. One fast-food grilled-chicken club sandwich has 570 calories. You could eat a half-pound of skinless chicken breast, a half-cup of couscous and a cup of cooked green beans and still save nearly 300 calories (even without the fries or soda). Indulging even once a week means you'll be about one pants size plumper in a year.

Slim solution: Before you hop into the car, throw your favorite portable healthy food — a peanut-butter protein bar, a banana and mozzarella string cheese, a cup of Greek yogurt with honey — in your bag. If you have something satisfying to chow on during his greasy rendezvous, you won't be so tempted to add to his order.
More tips at:
[a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21101772/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21101772/[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

No, men don't get blamed for everything.  We blame the dog. ;)

Sportsdude

wait, I thought it went women blame the man, man blames the dog, then blames the chew toy. lol  

P.C.

But it's the men who blame the women when they get lost....or can't find something in the fridge....that is sitting right up front.....or the misplaced remote....or the lost receipt....or dates and times.....or.......  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

P.C. wrote:
But it's the men who blame the women when they get lost....or can't find something in the fridge....that is sitting right up front.....or the misplaced remote....or the lost receipt....or dates and times.....or.......

i hear ya girl!

P.C.

Of course I'm only mimicking those stale old stereotypes. I think I can safely say, Sawdust has never misplaced the remote....and is pretty good at directions.....and knows the fridge like the back of his hand.......BLAST ![/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

When I get lost, which is never, because I have a map ingrained in my head, I blame, the car.