John McCain, please shutup

Started by TehBorken, Sep 30 07 08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

What an ass. Who gives a shit what John McCain thinks?
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
[span class="lingo_region"]WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Saturday that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead."  "I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said. "But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president."[/p][/span][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][span class="lingo_region"] [/p][/span]Shutup, John. Like I'm going to listen to a former POW who nonetheless thinks it's okay to torture people?

In 1797 our government concluded a "Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli, or Barbary," now known simply as the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 of the treaty contains these words:   [/p][blockquote style="font-style: italic;"]As the Government of the United States...is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion--as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity of Musselmen--and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.[/blockquote]   This document was endorsed by Secretary of State Timothy Pickering and President John Adams. It was then sent to the Senate for ratification; the vote was unanimous. It is worth pointing out that although this was the 339th time a recorded vote had been required by the Senate, it was only the third unanimous vote in the Senate's history.

Founded on Christian principles, my ass. The US was founded by a group of people who were predominantly Christians.  Most of them were not fundimentalist Christians, most of them believed in a separation of church and state, and many of them had unconventional religious views.  Most importantly, though, they [em]intentionally left Christianity out of the government[/em].  In fact, they went out of their way to exclude it.

So John, please STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about, and being a "Christian" is NOT an "important" qualification to lead this country.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

it is to the south and midwest and southwest. Can't win the electoral college without them.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."