Rate me: Steak

Started by Wondering, Sep 30 07 05:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

I always presear my steaks even on the stove in a cast iron griddle but the temperature is too low.  I remember at my ex's place where we had a full size bbq and i let the steak sear for about a minute.  Then continued to cook at a lower heat on the bbq.  I think that was probably the best homemade steak I ever made. Of course, living in an apartment where bbq's are not permitted and the small portable ones just simply suck dont give us much chance to make a steak.  

FWIW,  I even bought a portable bbq one from Costco and it was larger, the one with a stainless steel cover thinking it would be bettter but it wasnt.  It was actually worse than the cheap Superstore special.  The reason being is that the Costco one had larger vents and therefore that prevented the bbq from getting hot enough. If I was a welder I would weld those openings up to prevent heat loss. I even tried aluminum to cover the openings but that didnt help much.    

49er

Yikes wrote:
49er wrote:
 I like my steak burnt on the outside and red on the inside, with some fat on the perimeter and not too tender.......salt and pepper only

Your colon won't like you for that, besides that's where the most carcinogens are found.

So I've been told.......but I lead such a clean and vice free life I figure I could splurge

Hmm

Yup, you are allowed to splurge every once in a while.  I know someone that eats bbq steak virtually every day in the summer months.  He is a smoker, he is very thin, and tall.  I guess the smoking is helping keep his colon from getting cancer (I heard that's what smoking can do).

Russ

Evening Hmm,

I have the same Costco one with the stainless cover.. thats the one I use for bbq'ing when i go camping. I actually like it alot.

Where the propane bottle goes in theres that small galvanized pipe with two airholes on it, when the propane is shot in, it flys by that hole and sucks in air. try covering one of the holes a bit, dont completely block it.. then you will not get enough air. Block the hole partly will give it more fuel to air ratio. I know what you mean about the holes being too big.. i noticed that as well.

Now you have me curious.. when I get home Ill do the bbq then oven method using my camping bbq. <sigh>. two more weeks!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Hmm

Hey Russ,

Glad to see someone else has that bbq.  Now we can share techniques.  

At Crappy Tire I asked one of the guys about the holes a long time ago when we got our first portable bbq and he said don't cover it up.  But, I will remember to cover it up a bit for for next year.  We won't be doing any camping this year and we won't be taking our bbq to the park or beach either.  This year the summer weather just sucked in Vancouver and TO currently has 26-30C temperatures!!  

|