Rate me: Steak

Started by Wondering, Sep 30 07 05:31

Previous topic - Next topic

wow

Are you for real?  Never had a Gothams or Morton's steak?  

Lil Me

P.C. is happy with all the steak she's got at home. Rumour has it that Sawdust has a lot of steak.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I'm quite real.....and I know good steak.  Of course I've never named ours.....but they're quite excellent.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

I agree.. Gothams steak is good!

OK.. I will agree that you need some 'salad' with the steak.

If you want a good steak on a small 'que... have the bbq on high before you put the steaks on, sear them on both sides with the railroad track black patterns on them.. like only a minute on either side. Then put them in the oven on a tray thats preheated to like 350 for about 20 minutes. Then take them out and let them sit to relax for five minutes.. then serve.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

GORDY GAMBINO

You don't use a bbq then an oven!!!!
Only bitches use ovens. BBQS are for blokes!!!
CAPO DI TUTTI CAPPI

49er

I like my steak burnt on the outside and red on the inside, with some fat on the perimeter and not too tender.......salt and pepper only

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Me too.  Almost.  I don't want it burnt on the outside....a nice char will be good....and I like it as tender as it can get.

Gopher

Ah, people of taste.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

GORDY GAMBINO wrote:
You don't use a bbq then an oven!!!!
Only bitches use ovens. BBQS are for blokes!!!

I agree with you Gordy G... but I hate to burst your bubble, but alot of restaurants use that method.
You sear the steak on the outside to give it the outer look and texture, then use the oven to cook the rest to what you want. the oven will relax the steak so its tender, and after you take it out and let it sit for 5 minutes it gets even more relaxed.

I use the bbq method only myself. Im too lazy to do it the other way. It works though.

Hmm

If you want a good steak on a small 'que... have the bbq on high before you put the steaks on, sear them on both sides with the railroad track black patterns on them.. like only a minute on either side. Then put them in the oven on a tray thats preheated to like 350 for about 20 minutes. Then take them out and let them sit to relax for five minutes.. then serve.

Russ, I tried that with a minute in fact longer but I can't get much of the grill marks on the steak. I even have an oven thermostat that I use and I can get the temp in there max 500F but as soon as you open the lid you lose lots of heat rapidly and adding the meat further cools it down.  

That's an interesting technique about putting the steak in an oven. May try it one day.

Yikes

49er wrote:
I like my steak burnt on the outside and red on the inside, with some fat on the perimeter and not too tender.......salt and pepper only

Your colon won't like you for that, besides that's where the most carcinogens are found.

Russ

Hmm wrote:

Russ, I tried that with a minute in fact longer but I can't get much of the grill marks on the steak. I even have an oven thermostat that I use and I can get the temp in there max 500F but as soon as you open the lid you lose lots of heat rapidly and adding the meat further cools it down.  

That's an interesting technique about putting the steak in an oven. May try it one day.[/DIV]

Really Hmm? Maybe it was on longer then... I remember someone describing it to me, and I tried it a few times. I dont remember exactly how long. The last few times I did it this method, I used my full size 'que I have now.

The idea behind the initial searing was to brown the steak on the outside so you get that cooked texture with the 'railroad' tracks. Then you use the oven to cook it more on the inside with not such a high heat, if the steaks are cooked on high they tend to react to the heat and tense up. The oven wont do that as much, and thats the reason you let them sit for five minutes to relax again before serving. I had a chef tell me about this, he used to work in a hotel downtown van. I cant give you the exact way to do it.

Good luck and happy bbq'ing!

P.C.

I always thought they pre-seared and put them in the oven for efficiency.  Kind of like sitting things under a warming tray until someone ordered it.      

Hmm

I always presear my steaks even on the stove in a cast iron griddle but the temperature is too low.  I remember at my ex's place where we had a full size bbq and i let the steak sear for about a minute.  Then continued to cook at a lower heat on the bbq.  I think that was probably the best homemade steak I ever made. Of course, living in an apartment where bbq's are not permitted and the small portable ones just simply suck dont give us much chance to make a steak.  

FWIW,  I even bought a portable bbq one from Costco and it was larger, the one with a stainless steel cover thinking it would be bettter but it wasnt.  It was actually worse than the cheap Superstore special.  The reason being is that the Costco one had larger vents and therefore that prevented the bbq from getting hot enough. If I was a welder I would weld those openings up to prevent heat loss. I even tried aluminum to cover the openings but that didnt help much.  

|