The Raw Story

Started by Adam_Fulford, Mar 18 06 12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

[A href="http://www.rawstory.com"]www.rawstory.com[/A]  

Goat See

The DV "handle jackers" (called impersonators at the forums I frequent) are the worst! Nobody is safe. The site admin is a retard for not allowing registrations.

I had to switch to using a name that is slightly longer than you're allowed to type in the 'name' box there, and so far, no impersonators have succeeded. There was one attempt from a "Goat-TheRealOne", but even Superstar could see through it. Lame.

Witch

I agree. Although I wasn't banned from DV, I left for the same sort of reasons.

I am curious about one statement of your Adam, perhaps you could expand on it?

"I'd rather not have to sic lawyers on identity thieves, though I wouldn't be shy to do so."

Are you suggesting that you would have a legitimate cause for action against a handle jacker? If so, how would you propose to actually action it?

academe

Goat See wrote:
The DV "handle jackers" (called impersonators at the forums I frequent) are the worst! Nobody is safe. The site admin is a retard for not allowing registrations.

I had to switch to using a name that is slightly longer than you're allowed to type in the 'name' box there, and so far, no impersonators have succeeded. There was one attempt from a "Goat-TheRealOne", but even Superstar could see through it. Lame.

Well, so says the person going around DV reformatting the backgrounds and fonts in some threads...and you gave me heck for "sullying" your name as a "hacker" here on DS...that's the pot calling itself black my dear goatypoo...

news

People think they're anonymous on the net, but nothing could be further from the truth. Even using a proxy server doesn't really protect someone, because all that stuff can be traced. Live in another country? That's really no protection these days. In fact, using a proxy server helps the police make their case because it shows an intent to hide your identity. Couple that with malicious behavior and you're on your way to an expensive trial, whether you're convicted or not. Some of the people that have been getting away with this stuff are in for a big surprise, the RCMP and the american authorities are a lot further along than any of you realize.

Sportsdude

Bush does want to get rid of the 4th Amendment.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Goat See

Academe, notice how you appear to be two different people in DV and DS? In DV you seem to have a clue, in DS you don't. I'm like that too! Except the difference for me is hacking: In DV I do, in DS I don't. Clearer now? lol :)

Method

Forum handles are not protected Adam. I would pay for your legal council if you were guaranteed to win. It is hardly identity theft.  

Goat See

Bah. They just figured out how to copy my name at DV. Either that or it's a mod trying to ruin my "good" reputation, haha. I've switched to an even longer one... if they copy that, I'm probably gonna stop posting there.

P.C.

I think Adams' point is that it is NOT his handle.  It is his real name.  He'd be daft to think handle-jacking is in any way shape or form of identity theft.

BUT I'm wondering if he may have a teeny point.  Of course he would have to identify such with each post that it IS his real name. (???)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

So, are you saying you're a criminal ???  "Criminal impersonators" ? [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g015.gif" border=0]

weird al

I don't think handle-jacking quite equates to a criminal act, whether identity theft or criminal impersonation. It is a low trick, although I've occasionally seen it done to quite humorous effect - for example, when a poster mentioned that he worked at the airport, and when someone asked him what he did there, a handle-jacker replied on his behalf, "I'm a cab-driver", I howled. The original poster even took it well. After all it goes with the (unregistered) territory. Like I said, it's a cheap trick, but I don't think we'll ever see a prosecution.

P.C.

I don't think anyone would argue with that Adam.  The question is,  is a forum where 99% of the posters use an alias have any inkling that someone would actually use their real name.  My guess is you wouldn't have a paper leg to stand on.  They're kinda not stealing it......you're almost giving it to them.

P.C.

Oops...accidently posted before I was done.  Would you post your VISA number and then be shocked to find a hefty bill from Future Shop?

weird al

PC makes a good point Adam. I've always thought that Adam Fulford was your real name. Sometimes I've thought that it was admirable and courageous that someone would use his/her real name. But I don't know that that's really your name. Neither do 99.9% of the other DV-ates. Here's an article from tomorrow's London Free Press:

[A href="http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Opinion/Columnists/Millar_John/2006/02/23/1457970-sun.html"]http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Opinion/Columnists/Millar_John/2006/02/23/1457970-sun.html[/A]

There seems to be confusion about what the term "identity theft" means, especially when it comes to misappropriation of personal information.

In Canada, to be considered a theft, a person must take an actual "thing" involving a loss to the owner.

Someone who copies personal information from a computer or official document (with the exception of credit card and debit card data) and retains that information for future criminal use has not committed an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada. That's because the owner still has the information. All that is lost is confidentiality.

According to a discussion paper titled Working Together to Prevent Identity Theft, there are gaps in the Criminal Code, which, along with new technology and business practices, may facilitate fraud.

The discussion paper was prepared by the consumers measures committee (CMC), a forum of federal, provincial and territorial government officials co-operating to eliminate barriers to trade between provinces and territories. For information on the status of the CMC paper, see [email protected] using the subject line Question -- ID Theft.

Quoting from an Ipsos Reid poll, the paper reports nine per cent of Canadians -- 2.7 million people -- have been victims of identity theft at some point. The categories of losses reported included: financial loss, emotional distress, loss of reputation and the costs and time of rebuilding a personal credit rating.

The paper defines identity theft as "the use of someone else's personal information, without his or her knowledge or consent, to commit a crime, such as fraud, theft or forgery. Identity theft also includes the acquisition or transfer of personal information as an instrument to commit these crimes in the future."

Personal information is defined in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) as: "Information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization."

The paper appears to suggest that Canada expand its criminal law to address the acquisition, storage, transfer or sale of personal information.

[DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers.[/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 684px"][NOBR][B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]Identity[/B] [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff66ff"]theft[/B] (or [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999"]identity[/B] fraud) includes [B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66"]criminal[/B] activity in which a person wrongfully [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 705px"][NOBR]obtains and subsequently uses someone else's personal information with a view to [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 725px"][NOBR]committing a forgery or a fraud for financial gain. An individual's personal information [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 746px"][NOBR]includes the person's name, address, telephone number, birth date, family information, [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 767px"][NOBR]social insurance number and financial account information including personal [/NOBR][/DIV][DIV style="LEFT: 135px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 787px"][NOBR]information numbers.[/NOBR]