Wedding

Started by purelife, Sep 19 07 11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

Quick question:

When you receive a wedding invitation for either Reception or the Party, and then choose not to attend, is it courtesy to buy a gift (at least $50) for the couple?

I've been told that it is courtesy to do so.  What's your opinion?

Gopher

A courtesy, but definitelky not necessary. Why not send a gushing (and sincere) letter instead?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Hey babe..

It IS common courtesy to do so if they have invited you, but theres many people now that do not. Like lots of people dont.. so its kinda so so.

Im not much help am I?  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Thanks guys.  I was just curious. :))

How are you Russ?

Gopher

... and of course we'll shower you with gifts, not to mention money, when YOUR big day finally arrives, Purelife.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Awww..thanks Gophie...but I wouldn't expect anything, just attendance, if possible.

I posted this because a friend asked me and so, wanted some opinions.[/DIV]

purelife

duplicated post... huh?  [/DIV]

P.C.

I think it has always been considered good manners to send a gift if an invitation is received.  But to keep it simple......do you LIKE the person?  If so....send a gift or at least a nice card.  A gift doesn't have to be huge or expensive to be memorable and appreciated.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

JJ

I thinks it up to you, how do you feel.  I've been invited to big wedding of my cousins that I haven't attended nor send gifts. I know they really didn't expect me to attend.  But then I've sent gifts to small weddings that I wasn't invited but wanted to wish the young couple the best!  

Lise

My mother gave the kids of this long lost relatives about $200 in red packet money but they never invited her to the wedding banquet. The parents called her back to thank her profusely and I think they were very embarassed that they didn't invite my parents. When I heard that my mother gave them that much, I was mad as hell. I mean, c'mon!! Who gives $200 to distant relatives. Man....

I always give out a token gift to the couple even if I decline going to their wedding or whatever. Like PC and JJ say, it's only good manners to do so and to wish the couple happy success in their new lives. Doesn't have to be much, it's the thought that counts.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Your mother is very generous, Lise.  I think that's lovely.  (no doubt the parents were embarassed....oooops!)  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

She's got this mentality that it's the Chinese thing to do. I mean, WTH? My relatives don't even give me that much!

Sheesh... I tell you, my parents have this thing where they believe it's Chinese custom to shell out as much as possible to show how rich you are. I just can't understand why!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Sometimes I think it's a Chinese custom to show off.  (go figure?)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Yeah. Bloody materialistic sometimes. My sister in HK has to show 'face' to her brother's side and his family. As in, buying expensive (name brand) clothes only or going to the best preppy preschools. It's so stupid and excessive, I can't understand it but she's doing it because everyone is competing with one another.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

She lives in HK?  That explains it.  Generally, people living in HK are materialistic and love to "save face."