Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Bleach

Started by TehBorken, Sep 20 08 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Well.... it's use is entirely up to you. It's safe to use in diluted form (according to the American Food and Drug Administration) but regardless it is still a form of acid abeit a weak one. I'm not sure if I can compare it to the same form as lemon juice or sunlight tho.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

weird al wrote:

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach

It is a bleaching agent, as are sunlight, lemon juice etc., but is not bleach per se, like clorox or javex or what have you.

That's sort of what I thought too weird al.  Peroxide is what is in teeth whiteners.

You had me worried Lise, as we have rinsed with diluted peroxide since we were kids...so I thought I'd look into it.

I have learned today, that teeth whiteners (both home kits and those used by a dentist) contain  peroxide...and that dentists not only don't think it's a bad idea to rinse with a diluted solution....many of them recommend it for benefits other than teeth whitening (according to the College of Dental Hygienists of BC)

And the following is from the ADA.  (The BCDA and the CDSBC are tough to get any info from....but I suspect it can't be that different.)

Professionally applied bleach whiteners
There are many professionally applied tooth whitening bleach products. These products use hydrogen peroxide in concentrations ranging from 15 percent to 35 percent and are sometimes used together with a light or laser, which the companies state accelerate or activate the whitening process. Prior to application of professional products, gum tissues are isolated either with a rubber dam or a protective gel. Whereas home-use products are intended for use over a two-to-four week period, the professional procedure is usually completed in about one hour.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

P.C. wrote:

That's sort of what I thought too weird al.  Peroxide is what is in teeth whiteners.

You had me worried Lise, as we have rinsed with diluted peroxide since we were kids...so I thought I'd look into it.

Well, what sort of teeth whiteners are we talking about here now? Are we talking about general teeth whiteners that are in toothpastes or mouthrinses or gums? I know Arms uses baking soda which is less corrosive and a better alternative to toothpaste with peroxide.

If you've had no problems using diluted peroxide then go for it. However, I want to stress that for some individuals, they may experience effects like sensitivity in the gums due to its use.

As far as I'm concern peroxide is corrosive no matter how diluted. It has to be if you're using to irrigate root canals, bleach one's hair, removing stains etc. Imagine using it on your tissues... it just makes me shudder.

I have learned today, that teeth whiteners (both home kits and those used by a dentist) contain  peroxide...and that dentists not only don't think it's a bad idea to rinse with a diluted solution....many of them recommend it for benefits other than teeth whitening (according to the College of Dental Hygienists of BC)

And the following is from the ADA.  (The BCDA and the CDSBC are tough to get any info from....but I suspect it can't be that different.)

I have said that I'm not speaking on behalf of the dental community, it's just my opinion that using peroxide no matter how diluted is not a good thing. With new technology and new products out there, there are better alternative.

Professionally applied bleach whiteners
There are many professionally applied tooth whitening bleach products. These products use hydrogen peroxide in concentrations ranging from 15 percent to 35 percent and are sometimes used together with a light or laser, which the companies state accelerate or activate the whitening process. Prior to application of professional products, gum tissues are isolated either with a rubber dam or a protective gel. Whereas home-use products are intended for use over a two-to-four week period, the professional procedure is usually completed in about one hour.

Using teeth whiteners when done with professional guidance and the help of your dental team is safe and effective. It's not that I disagree with teeth whitening on teeth, it's the use of [FONT color=#ff0000]whitening products ON THE GUMS[/FONT] that I'm concerned with. Teeth whitening is safe when done properly (don't get me started on those take-home kits you buy at the store) but again, you're using bleach (and they're not diluted per se - they need to be somewhat concentrated to work - that's why it's recommended you do it in the dental office) and your enamel will tend to become soft during treatment.

The use of rubber dam is to prevent the bleach from getting to your gums. Again, the corrosive attribute of the bleach plays a part here hence the isolation of the teeth using the dams. These days, dentists prefer using the ZOOM treatment which is dabbing bleach over your teeth and zapping them with a light curing device. You will see the results within a couple of hours. There are pros and cons to using this threatment but generally speaking, patients are quite happy with the results.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I'm not really touting teeth whitening products.  I was basically curious about the 'safety' of having peroxide in your mouth, and I figured it couldn't be bad if dentists used it in their whitening process in a relatively high concentrate.  If you can have 35% peroxide in your mouth....I'm thinkin 3% peroxide diluted would be ok. (?)  

Michel

Lise

Well, it's up to you if you still wish to continue using diluted peroxide in your mouth. I think dental professional might say it's OK and some will tell you to use otherwise. It's up to you to use it if you think it won't harm you.

Let me just say again that when we put the whitening bleach, it's ON YOUR TEETH and we try not to put it on your gums due to its corrosive properties. We try not to get it on your gums as best as we can.

And yes, just ask your dentist or dental team before using any whitening products.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/muede/n020.gif" border=0]                                                                                                         .

Michel