Mother Teresa didn't believe in God

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 23 07 08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Shortly after beginning work in Calcutta's slums, the spirit leaves her.  

"Where is my faith?" she writes. "Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness. ... If there be God — please forgive me."

Eight years later, she's still looking for the belief she's lost.

"Such deep longing for God," she writes. "... repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal."

As her fame increased, her faith refused to return. Her smile, she says, is a mask.

"What do I labor for?" she asks. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

"These are letters that were kept in the archbishop's house," says the Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk.

The letters were gathered by Rev. Kolodiejchuk, the priest who's making the case to the Vatican for Mother Teresa's proposed sainthood. He says her obvious spiritual torment actually helps her cause.

"Now we have this new understanding, this new window into her interior life, and for me this seems to be the most heroic," says Rev. Kolodiejchuk.

According to her letters, Mother Teresa died with her doubts. She had even stopped praying, she once said.  

The church decided to keep her letters, even though one of her dying wishes was that they be destroyed. Perhaps now we know why.

[a href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/23/eveningnews/main3199062.shtml"]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/23/eveningnews/main3199062.shtml[/a]

[!-- sphereit end --]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

The church decided to keep her letters, even though one of her dying wishes was that they be destroyed. Perhaps now we know why.

I found this to be the saddest of all.  You would think the church of all things would respect a dying wish.  Hypocrites.

They are right about her wavering faith being a plus for sainthood.  To me, that means she did what she did for the pure love of humanity and a need to help without thought of 'godly' rewards.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

She was trying to do good, realized the human race is cruel and religion is just a black tunnel. Goes down to the first thing they teach you in bible class that god is all loving and all powerful. If God is all loving then poverty wouldn't exist. If he/she/it was all powerful then wars and genoicide would not exisit. She lived in the poor. She saw the truth but wanted to believe and felt coldness.    

49er

I remember asking the same question long time ago in parochial school, but never got a straight answer.........I was told that God put us on earth to test us.......why bother if he knows the future and knows who is going to fail

Sportsdude

I was the same way. If he is all three or just one of them he/she/it has a twisted sense of humour.  

P.C.

I was never satisfied with those answers either 49er.  It just doesn't make any sense.

I was always bothered by people who gave all the credit to their god for their successes and yet could explain their misfortunes away so easily.

I wouldn't be happy with a mere mortal who only took credit for good and no responsibility for bad.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

religion is lost. Its not about the good but about 'us'. Think of it as a political equation. Party over convictions. You vote for a party because that's what you do. You're more obessed with the party then your actual convictions. Therefore you're a fake.

Religion is that. Instead of helping its blah blah blah we are better then you. Its politics. Instead of actually doing what religion is meant for they get caught up in my god is better then your god. Or even better my denomination of my view of the world is better then your denomination therefore you're going to hell. (classic protestant vs. catholic, protestant vs. protestant shia vs. sunni, orthodox jew vs. mainline) response.

Lise

I don't know. This doesn't change my view of Mother Theresa. It just goes to show that she's a normal human being afterall with flaws but her work speaks for itself. She will remain forever, a woman with compassion and love for all to the very end.

And that, my friends, is a saint.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

lazy Marik

does it really matter if she believed in god or not? she helped out a lot of people.  

Lil Me

I think it just shows she was human.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.