Bill Gates mocks MIT's $100 laptop project

Started by TehBorken, Mar 16 06 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Bill Gates is such an a**hole. He's so frightened of Google or anything Google touches, it's almost funny. MIT is doing a good thing here, but leave it to f*ckwad Bill to chime in with his negative comments. Of course, he IS an expert at "things that don't work".
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][a href="http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-03-16T081431Z_01_N15248895_RTRUKOC_0_US-MICROSOFT-GATES.xml"]Bill Gates mocks MIT's $100 laptop project[/a]

By Joel Rothstein

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.  Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates on Wednesday mocked a $100 laptop computer for developing countries being developed with the backing of rival Google Inc. at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The $100 laptop project seeks to provide inexpensive computers to people in developing countries. The computers lack many features found on a typical personal computer, such as a hard disk and software.

"The last thing you want to do for a shared use computer is have it be something without a disk ... and with a tiny little screen," Gates said at the Microsoft Government Leaders Forum in suburban Washington. (Ummm, Bill? Your fancy new "Origami" gadget has a [span style="text-decoration: underline;"]smaller screen than the MIT laptop. But let's not get bogged down in details!)[/span]

"Hardware is a small part of the cost" of providing computing capabilities, he said, adding that the big costs come from network connectivity, applications and support.

Before his critique, Gates showed off a new "ultra-mobile computer" which runs Microsoft Windows on a seven-inch (17.78-centimeter) touch screen. (Yeah, and I'm sure Bill would like the third-world countries to buy his piece of shit computer for $999 rather than MIT's design for a [span style="text-decoration: underline;"]tenth of the price.)[/span]

Those machines are expected to sell for between $599 and $999, Microsoft said at the product launch last week. ($999? That's so much more affordable than MIT's laptop...errr, wait, no it's not. It's ten times as much!)

"If you are going to go have people share the computer, get a broadband connection and have somebody there who can help support the user, geez, get a decent computer where you can actually read the text and you're not sitting there cranking the thing while you're trying to type," Gates said. (Geez, Bill, stop saying things likke "Geez", you sound like a geek. Oh, wait, never mind. lol)

Gates described the computers as being for shared use, but the project goes under the name "One Laptop per Child." A representative for the project did not immediately reply to an inquiry seeking comment. (Ooops, quick, rename that project to something warm and fuzzy or you're fired!)

Earlier this year, Google founder Larry Page said his company is backing MIT's project. He showed a model of the machine that does use a crank as one source of power.

"The laptops ... will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data," according to the project's Web site.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

CK

What a dick! Its like mocking a poor family for using a Food Bank! "They should just have a loaded pizza, steak and lobster, what is their problem!?"

TehBorken

And in other news, victims of Hurricane Katrina have finally returned to New Orleans to find that places of business have shut down and their homes have been destroyed.

When asked how he felt about people that are homeless, Bill Gates commented, "Their house got destroyed? So why don't they just buy another one? Boy, some people are just stupid!"

Gates then proceded to laugh at a little boy who's family was on welfare. "He was so skinny! Why didn't he just eat something? Boy, some people are just stupid".

He then wiped his ass with a 100 dollar bill and lit it on fire in front of a blue-collar laborer.

CK

Wow! it reminds me of a manager at a place I worked in Vancouver right after uni. I brought a Tim's coffee to work and he announced loudly and boldly "how can you drink that blue collar swill?". Good thing I don't work with him anymore, I'd probably have to throw a hot coffee in his face.

Sportsdude

Typical capitalist pig in my book. He's a great charity guy but when it comes to his real pride and joy (Microsoft) he acts like a total ass.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Legion

They are all capitalist pigs in my book. Google is no better than Microsoft.
curses!

tenkani

Absolutely. Google's new Chinese self-censoring search engine makes the baby jesus cry. At this point, when I hear of a wonderful new charity project conceived by these jerk-offs I immediately look for the profit/PR advantage. Jaded or realistic? I don't know anymore...
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

perpetual

Maybe he is still reeling from the news IBM is going with Linux OS.   I can't recall where or what I read, but I read that some big computer company was switching from Win to Linux.

TehBorken

perpetualacademe wrote:
Maybe he is still reeling from the news IBM is going with Linux OS.   I can't recall where or what I read, but I read that some big computer company was switching from Win to Linux.

Yep, it's IBM. They're going with Linux on all of their desktops, and the rest of their hardware isn't far behind. They're saving millions by switching.