UFC Fight

Started by Hobbit, Aug 21 07 01:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbit

There's a highly anticipated [A href="http://listings.findfeedback.com/1000/133.html"]UFC fight: Georges "Rush" St. Pierre (GSP) vs. Josh Koschek[/A] coming up soon. Is anyone going to be watching this fight? Who do you think will win?
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

Marik

Yes I'll be watching it Hobbit. GSP will win. The only reason Koscheck beat Diego Sanchez was because Sanchez was very sick and had a staph infection. As for the main event, I sure hope Randy wins.

UFC 75 should be a better event though, and it'll be free on Spike TV. Big title unification match between Rampage and Henderson, plus Cro Cop vs Kongo.

Have you ever watched any PRIDE events, Hobbit? "Bushido 9" is probably the best one. Try watching it if you haven't already.

Lise

UFC. Is that Ultimate Fight Competition or something? Like wrestling.....? It's on pay-per-view. That's all I know.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I've always seen it like that. I don't get it. Just looks like an organized street fight.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Marik

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship. Most of the good fights are on pay-per-view, but they'll occasionally air Fight Night on Spike TV. It brings together all these different fighting styles. It was pretty much a no-holds-barred fight in the early days, but now they've smartened up and put in many rules to keep the fighters safe. The fighters used to be 1-dimentional and were experts in 1 style of fighting, but now the fighters have to be good at everything in order to be a champion.
 It is no longer blood-and-guts, unlike what some people say. I bet these people haven't watched very many recent events, if any. It is human chess, a science. If you watch Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie (2000 PRIDE Grand Prix) you will understand what I mean by human chess. These are very well condtioned athletes, not some goons in a street fight.
 There have been no deaths in mixed martial arts in a sanctioned fight. There was one in an unsanctioned fight in Russia or the Ukraine... somewhere in that area. Doctors, friends told the guy not to fight due to a previous injury, but he was stubborn and decided to fight. He was taken down, took a couple punches to the face, and the referee stopped it. The guy was in no condition to fight, and he died en route to the hospital.

Go GSP!!!

P.C.

Let me preface this by saying, to each his own.  But I often wonder why cock fighting or dog fighting is deemed inhumane, yet people fighting is a sport.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/n080.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Hobbit

P.C. wrote:
 Let me preface this by saying, to each his own.  But I often wonder why cock fighting or dog fighting is deemed inhumane, yet people fighting is a sport.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/n080.gif" border=0]  

That's because the cock or dog wouldn't have a choice in the matter and doesn't know any better. Humans are more evolved then animals, at least in some cases. :)

As for Lise's comment, sometimes you can catch a hot fight on youtube or dailymotion.com if you don't want to spend lots of $s for pay-per-view.

-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

P.C.

That's because the cock or dog wouldn't have a choice in the matter and doesn't know any better. Humans are more evolved then animals, at least in some cases.

Well, at least we evolved enough to figure out that it is inhumane to animals.  Who knows what will happen in the future should we evolve some more.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

wassanasong

Staph Infections are easily transmitted during training.  It's hard to even want to roll with anyone who has skin bumps all over his arms or a rash on his leg.  Longsleeve NikePro\Drifit or Underarmour is the way to go for the people training out there.

As for saturday,
Gonzaga>Couture.  Couture can't finish him and will have to last until a 5 round decision but Gonzaga has the power and (newfound)confidence to KO him

GSP>Koscheck.  GSP has the strength and technique to negate most wrestlers(see Hughes\Sherk matches)

wassanasong

Ultimate fighting\MMA is rules-based fighting and that is why I consider it a sport.  It's not a mix-matched battle between a 300lb blob and a 100lb weakling.  The fighters who are competing fight against opponents who are relatively the same size and skill level.  Also the fighters are bound by rules- there are 31 infractions that cannot be committed or it may result in a disqualification\no contest and all fights are sanctioned by the NSAC(Nevada State Athletic Commission)...the same governing body that sanctions boxing bouts.  So if you see boxing as a controlled and non-offensive sport, you should see MMA in the same light.  Just my $0.02

This might be long but its the rules page straight off the UFC website.

[a name="section1"][/a]Weight classes:  [a href="http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules#top"][Top][/a]
Lightweight  - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs.
Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs.  
Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.
Light Heavyweight - over 185  lbs. to 205 lbs.
Heavyweight - over 205 lbs. to 265 lbs.

[a name="section2"][/a]Bout duration:  [a href="http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules#top"][Top][/a]
All  non-championship bouts shall be three rounds.
All championship bouts shall  be five rounds.
Rounds will be five minutes in duration.
A one-minute  rest period will occur between each round.

[a name="section3"][/a]Fouls:   [a href="http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules#top"][Top][/a]
1.    Butting with the head.
2.   Eye gouging of any kind.
3.   Biting.  
4.   Hair pulling.
5.   Fish hooking.
6.   Groin attacks of any  kind.
7.   Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration  on an opponent.
8.   Small joint manipulation.
9.   Striking to the  spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the  elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation,  grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13.  Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15.  Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.  
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the  canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or  fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21.  Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that  causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24.  Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent  on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of  the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of  the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions  of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding  contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece  or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the  towel during competition.

[a name="section4"][/a]Ways To Win:   [a href="http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules#top"][Top][/a]
1.  Submission by:
           Physical tap out.
           Verbal tap  out.
2. Technical knockout by the referee stopping the contest.
3.  Decision via the scorecards, including:
           Unanimous decision.  
           Split decision.
           Majority decision.
            Draw, including:
                  Unanimous draw.
                   Majority draw.
                  Split draw.
4. Technical decision.  
5. Technical draw.
6. Disqualification.
7. Forfeit.