Sikhs Upset Over Passport Requirement

Started by Lise, Aug 17 07 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I mean, C'MON ALREADY!! Jeez.

Honestly, I think this security issues have gone to the dogs. Now the Sikhs are in an uproar with regards to religious head-gear. I just don't get it. If I was a male Sikh and asked to remove my head-gear for passport pictures, I would do it and get it over and done with.

The World Sikh Organization is outraged that Passport Canada has refused to issue passports to three Surrey Sikh children because they were wearing religious headgear.

Lakhwinder Kaur Sidhu mailed passport applications to Ottawa for herself and her husband along with their three children, Gurleen Kaur, 9; Ravneet Kaur, 7; and Gurmant Singh, 4, on May 15.

All five had included passport photos in which they were wearing their religious headgear.

[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=8a6d15c3-fab4-48b4-a669-508ae3244032&k=50640"][FONT size=1]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=8a6d15c3-fab4-48b4-a669-508ae3244032&k=50640[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

49er

The pic. is for identity purpose........therefore if they are not required to take off their head gear when going thru Customs why are they required to remove their turbans for passport pics.  

ADD:      By the way.......are nuns or Sisters required to removed their head coverings in passport photos?  

ripper

This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum. Political correctness gone overboard. We in North America have lost our balls. Instead of telling them to either remove the turban or get out, i'm sure they'll be groveling an apology to these idiots. This is what happens when you let anyone and anything in and hand out citizenship like it was candy. Time to toughen up and start deporting.

JJ

Sikhs that age don't wear full turbans, just a little cloth?  

P.C.

If the purpose of a passport photo is for 'rcognition' purposes.....than wouldn't a person who would normally be wearing a turban, be more recognizable in relationship to his photo?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Yes of course, PC.  I wonder if the same ludicrous rule applies to those wearing yashmaks and burkas? And will women be expected to remove their make up?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

49er

Gopher wrote:
Yes of course, PC.  I wonder if the same ludicrous rule applies to those wearing yashmaks and burkas? And will women be expected to remove their make up?[/DIV]
 Now covering up one's face defeats purpose of having pictures

Russ

ripper wrote:
 This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum. Political correctness gone overboard. We in North America have lost our balls. Instead of telling them to either remove the turban or get out, i'm sure they'll be groveling an apology to these idiots. This is what happens when you let anyone and anything in and hand out citizenship like it was candy. Time to toughen up and start deporting.[/DIV]
 'bless'

I think we have similar political leanings and ideals ripper!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Russ

JJ wrote:
 Sikhs that age don't wear full turbans, just a little cloth?  [/DIV]
 True. its a little cloth with a ball on top. I forget what age they get to wear a full turban.. I was talking with my neighbor about it last year. I guess its time to head over with another bottle of chivas and ply him with more questions.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

The full turban is probably worn shortly after the boy reaches manhood (possibly after he breaks his voice) but I'm not sure about this.

I can understand the need about wearing the turban, it's a religious right and an individual right to wear one but in the face of 9-11, everyone (and I do mean everyone) has to go through the rigours of security. What's so hard about not wearning a turban and taking photographs if it will save you the hassle of getting a passport and what-not? The alternative would be no more flying or worse...

In terms of wearing the burqa, though I don't agree with it, I do respect the woman's decision to wear one. However, like the turban, you should remove it completely in order to take your picture. For goodness sake, if everyone can take photos and wear the burqa, we'd be having terrorists walking around in them.

Anyways, if you're interested in the history of the turban (it does have Christianity related background), you can read all about here:

[A href="http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/register.nsf/f121af51cccab1c58725670b007faabb/c2a8b1162cbcac1887256acc0083b771!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,turban"][FONT size=1]http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/register.nsf/f121af51cccab1c58725670b007faabb/c2a8b1162cbcac1887256acc0083b771!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,turban[/FONT][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

jesus wore a turban. don't tell the crazies that. Also don't tell him he looked like a palestinian either. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Speaking of Sikhs and turbans, a couple of years ago when we had the "helmut" law, the Sikhs were exempt because of the turban!  GEESHUS!

ripper

What is it with these people. They are constantly demanding that we bend over backwards to accomodate their every whim. From changing the Mounty uniforms to carrying knives to school to sporting events, we are supposed to change our customs to meet theirs. And the way it's going, it's going to be sooner than later.

49er

this brings up a interesting point, here in the US everyone has to remove their shoes to be x-rayed when going thru the airport security checkpoint.  Do the Sikhs required to remove the turban?    

ripper

I doubt it. That would be considered "racist".