Water Bottles

Started by Lise, Aug 15 07 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think we should ban water bottles?

Yes
1 (11.1%)
No
2 (22.2%)
Don't Care
0 (0%)
Limit them
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Lise

It's funny. In the states, they're arguing about taxes on water bottles. Here in Canada we're already paying extra taxes on them.

I admit, I have water bottles at home for emergency purposes but after hearing the damage they do to the environment, I don't use them as much any more. I carry my own water in a container with me.

What do you folks think about water bottles in general? Necessary or no?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

No....not necessary.

When I heard that it takes FIVE litres of water to make ONE bottle of water, it made me realize how wasteful it is. (not that I didn't already think it was wasteful.....)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Anything to substract money from consumers pocket. Next step, Diet Air, lose weight while breathing !

purelife

Speaking of the extra bottle taxes we have here, did you know that in Toronto, ON they don't charge this extra bottle levy?  I found out that they don't even have Bottle Depots like we do here.

So to answer Lise's question, I think we need to limit them but charge more.  I, too, carry my own water bottle and have some bottled water in the car when I need them.  I help the environment by recycling the bottles and sometimes, I reuse them.

49er

Lise wrote:
It's funny. In the states, they're arguing about taxes on water bottles. Here in Canada we're already paying extra taxes on them.

we pay a deposit call the California Redemption fee.  Other states have this fee of varying amounts

Sportsdude

extremely harmful to the enviroment. For example a french water company. Bottles made in China, then flied to France then filled up with tap water, then flown over here.

Bottled water is only good for emergency situations.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Obviously a sino-french plot against Uncle Sam... Call Rambo !

Lil Me

I carry my own water with me, but I still have bottled H2O in the car.  I recycle all the bottles, and reuse them sometimes.

Perhaps I'm missing the issue entirely, but I don't see why water bottles are any worse than plastic pop bottles or juice bottles.  Most people recycle them.  If they get thrown in the dumpster, someone (including me sometimes) will fish them out and recycle them.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I don't think you're missing the issue......I think that's a good point.  

Although you can't get pop out of your tap.  I suppose that's one issue.  Plus there is something ironic about it taking 5 litres of water to make make one 500ml bottle of water.  Another issue is that a great percentage of bottled water comes out of a tap.  Studies have also shown that of some of the brands of water available for purchase are of the same or sometimes lesser quality than what's coming out of our taps.

Russ

Its the only way to get and drink water you know is safe in africa and other third world countries. I wouldnt be safe working there otherwise..

That being said they are thrown around everywhere and theres islands of them floating on the oceans over there.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Oh.....they definitely have their place.  Where you go is surely one of them.  We also keep several flats in our earthquake kit.      

Russ

I tend to use the big ones when going camping or have two for our earthquake thingy.

Individual bottles of water seem wasteful to me.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Russ wrote:
 I tend to use the big ones when going camping or have two for our earthquake thingy.

Individual bottles of water seem wasteful to me.

I've seen these water bottles that are less than 500ml, ie at 250 ml.  

I don't know why there are so many sizes to a water bottle.  250ml, 500ml, 750ml, 1L, 1.5L, 2L!  WTF?

Devil

I bought a good filter that attaches to my sink. I love it. All my drinking water tastes great.  I just change the filter every season, adn the ceramic filter once a year.

P.C.

Our water here is so yummy....we're VERY lucky.  We also have the water dispenser on the fridge door that filters also.

I better log off.....I'm sure the power is going to go again.  It's scary out.