Least Affordable U.S. Real Estate Markets

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 13 07 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil

stats don't lie??

I hope you don't believe any stats from Canadian media or its sources, its all government controlled.

purelife

[em]I think the problem you're having SD....is you are relying too heavily on 'stats', instead of life experience, to form your conclusions.[/em]

[/div] I really agree with your conclusion, PC.[/p] [div]

Devil

Although it is a struggle, I think from what I see, I see a lot more young people going into serious debt at an early age because of material possessions. That being said, the part I agree with sports is, housing prices are..or did, rise a lot faster than wages did. Especially in Vancouver and Calgary.  

purelife

yes they do. Stats don't lie, stats are the ultimate truths

You've got to be kidding me right?  People who are part of the stats lie which in turn, make stats VERY GENERAL AND DAMN VAGUE!

I am not a believer of stats.  I take it with a grain of salt.  

Sportsdude

The only solution is co-ops.    
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

yes they do. Stats don't lie, stats are the ultimate truths.

It's my turn for big laugh on that one.  SD....stats paint a picture with a very broad stroke.  I know more people who have prospered in spite of fitting into 'your' figures, than people who haven't.  Stats can only state numbers....averages.  They don't reflect sacrifice, determination, ingenuity, creativity....or all the other methods people have used to defy the 'stats'.

Devil wrote.....Although it is a struggle, I think from what I see, I see a lot more young people going into serious debt at an early age because of material possessions.

I couldn't agree more......and not from a place of criticism.....just simple observation. Some people's priorities are just different.  

Are housing prices out of control and intimidating.....absolutely.  Does that make the reality of owning a home impossible ?....I don't think so.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

i know stats are just a ball park figure. But still they show trends. The middle class is defined by tax structure. That is 30-60k. When the average housing price is 7x that something isn't working.
I believe that if you have a good job, that pays well you should afford a home. Right now that is not possible.

P.C.

Stats don't lie.  Stats are the ultimate truth.

I know stats are just a ball park figure.

I don't think you do.  Those art totally opposing statements.

SD....put the calculator down, and use your head.  Those figures are arrived at by taking a figure of income, and calculating it to the cost of a house.  

I don't know very many people (if any) who are in the position of starting from square one....no savings....nothing...."I make such and such....and with that.....there isn't a house out there with a price I can afford"    That's all those figures are saying.  Those whose goals are to buy a house need to do some ground-work first....'position' yourself to be able to afford a house.  THERE ARE NO STATS THAT TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION.

It is NOT impossible.  I came to that conclusion from personal experiences.....not a book of numbers.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]Stats don't lie.  Stats are the ultimate truth.[/em]
[em][/em]
[em]I know stats are just a ball park figure.[/em]

I don't think you do.  Those art totally opposing statements.

SD....put the calculator down, and use your head.  Those figures are arrived at by taking a figure of income, and calculating it to the cost of a house.  

I don't know very many people (if any) who are in the position of starting from square one....no savings....nothing...."I make such and such....and with that.....there isn't a house out there with a price I can afford"    That's all those figures are saying.  Those whose goals are to buy a house need to do some ground-work first....'position' yourself to be able to afford a house.  THERE ARE NO STATS THAT TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION.

It is NOT impossible.  I came to that conclusion from personal experiences.....not a book of numbers.

Where have I said that people starting from square one should automatically be able to buy a house? Of course people should save money and lay the ground work for a house. They don't come over night. It took my parents 10 years after they were married to buy a house. I grew up in an apartment complex. If it took my parents with two very good paying jobs 8 years to buy a home back in the 80's, its got to be double that now. When I said people making 50k should be able to buy a house I don't mean tomorrow. Its a long process but the process is becoming so long now that its not reasonable. Especially if you want to have kids. People want to have kids in homes not apartments.
I'm using stats to back up personal experiences. They teach you in school that you need a source of information to be credible or people think you're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

P.C.

Where have I said that [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]people starting from square one should automatically be able to buy a house[/FONT]? Of course people should save money and lay the ground work for a house. They don't come over night. It took my parents 10 years after they were married to buy a house. I grew up in an apartment complex. If it took my parents with two very good paying jobs 8 years to buy a home back in the 80's, its got to be double that now. When I said people making 50k should be able to buy a house I don't mean tomorrow. Its a long process but the process is becoming so long now that its not reasonable. Especially if you want to have kids. People want to have kids in homes not apartments.
I'm using stats to back up personal experiences. They teach you in school that you need a source of information to be credible or people think you're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]That's what those numbers you have pulled up are based on SD.[/FONT]  X income equals Y purchase.  Nothing else.  It's just math.

Using stats to back up personal experiences is fine....when it comes to purchasing real estate....you have no personal experiences.

Let me assure you, I have great sympathy for young couples starting out now.  Not only are costs skyrocketing....a great percentage of them have been brought up to see value in the latest fashions, fancy electronics and flashy cars.  I can also assure you I'm not pulling my information out of my a$$.  

Devil

Maybe it is all the bling bling on the TV and movies? But it seems a lot (not all), of the younger people I work with are all trying to 'represent'. Driving brand new beamers and Lexus, dressing to the latest fashions, and then complaining rent is too high.

I call it "Eminemized".  LOL!

Suburban kids pretending they are from South Central LA!

P.C.

"Eminemized".            [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0] Excellent !

Sportsdude

no kidding devil. I have a friend who has that 'wanting it all' mantra stuck in his head. He's like well "I like it here, I'm not moving" then I ask well what about jobs in what your going into? He says "well there's a shop in nashville, but I don't want to move I love it here".  Then he gets the crazy idea that he can open up his own custom shop and gives me a name of some famous person who 'made it'.  
He doesn't get it.

49er

purelife

I call this "living in cloud 9."

|