Started by Sportsdude, Aug 13 07 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

So, you don't like these either?

Those are they same thing.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Oh no they're not.  

They have style and warmth.  If you're comparing boxes to those......well, I don't know what to say.

The 'lifestyle' may be somewhat the same.  But I could never get a sense that those 'boxes' were a 'home'.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.straight.com/article/home-ownership-eludes-most"]http://www.straight.com/article/home-ownership-eludes-most[/a]

so you do like 'row homes' they've just have to have character. okay got it.

Sportsdude

in the 'new urban' neighbourhood in my area they're building these:

P.C.

They can attach a 'NOW buzz phrase' to them....but they're still ugly.  

No....I don't like row homes.....but I understand the need for them.  However your pics show that they can be done with some some attention to design and style.  I've done the sub-division thing before....never again.  Next stop for me (dragging kicking and screaming)  will be the old folks home....and I sure hope when that time comes, there is an architect around that has some imagination.

Sportsdude

ah I see, so you would prefer an apartment or condo in the city?

P.C.

No....I would prefer to be far enough away from my neighbour to not hear their morning bathroom activities....their love of opera....or to smell their menu 3 times a day.

I don't want to know what time they went out, or what time they arrived home.  I don't want to listen to Fee-Fee practising her barking skills all day or hear their personal conversations on their postage stamp deck.

Gimme some green.   I'm spoiled....what can I say.

SO....if I HAD to live in the city...these are the things I would look for.  Attention to sound-proofing....air quality control and privacy...and a few square feet to plant something green.

Sportsdude

hmmmm you've given me a challenge.

Sportsdude

I have your 'ideal' city home. Give me a day.    

Sportsdude

well this house certainly isn't an affordable home its in Kits and is probably a freaking lot but it fits your criteria.

P.C.

It's still a box.  Well, maybe it's a little more.  A box on a box.  Uh uh.

Devil

It is all what an individual is into. All I know is I hated my condo with a passion. Felt like another sardine in a can.

sports, the second you have a kid, (not saying you should have kids or not), but your house fills up really fast.

I am not in suburbia either. My house was built around the WWII era. Big trees, older style, walking distance to my downtown job. But the houses are still pretty close to each other.

I think what P.C. has sounds what would be perfect for me too.

P.C., yes, yes you are spoiled!! haha! But I am sure you take nothing for granted. I feel you love your place.

Sportsdude

I know, its about the kids. But as I've grown up in a condo and a house. The house became a storage unit.

Devil

I guess it depends what you are storing too? I have a massive storage pile too. Camping stuff, old photos, etc.  I try to get rid of crap I don't need though.

Sportsdude

More row houses ideas:
St. John's Newfoundland

The backyard in one of those 'boxes' in Bremen Germany

|