Vancouver Gang shooting

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 10 07 04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

We have too much of a marijuana problem here. I see it everywhere in the streets of Vancouver, even exchanges being done right in front of our children. Easy access. I don't know what else can be done. It's so rampant, so huge a problem that nothing much can be done.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

well I'm in the legalization camp because
A) Pot is the drug dealers key to the house then they push other drugs on the teens getting them hooked. You take that away with legalization.
B) Illegal gun trade would drop because that's how all the gangs are getting these weapons from trading pot for assualt weapons with the US gangs.

People drink outside and get drunk, here people smoke everywhere. You can't out right ban something because that doesn't work it only creates organized crime. see Prohibition.
You legalize
Increase funding and add more cops on the street
stiffen gun offences

gangs will start to choke to death.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

....not to mention all those new tax dollars.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

yup. Pot made something like 5 billion dollars last year and that money didn't go to fund new skytrain lines.  

Devil

I am all for decriminalization. I am not sure about legalization. That would be giving our joke of a government too much credit for thinking they will actually create a system that will work.

Weed is not a bad thing anyways. For me, I would rather see more people smoking blunts than getting shitfaced on whiskey with all the fighting and puking. Weed chills out folks. Weed is not crack either. Has anywone ever heard of a lot of violence involved with the New Amsterdam cafe?

As for the shooting, whatever, shootings happen. Gun control won't prevent gang bangers from using guns.

Sportsdude

meant decriminalization. lol
but I'm looking at this as a safety issue. These gangs only exist because of the weed, they have guns because of the weed. You've got to take away the gravy train before you can go after the gangs. What will the gangs do to get there guns? heroin? cocaine? lol US has Mexico for that.
tougher border screening also well stop the guns but those measures are only band aids.
This isn't rocket science. Mafias in the US lost their power the instant prohibition ended.
US didn't end prohibition because of people wanting beer. lol
They stopped because the US was spending too much money going after the mob and they realized they can't win, unless, they go after the product that made the mafia money. In this case it was moonshine and beer. Prohibition ended and it was open season on the mafia folks.

Devil

I know I could use a spliff right now! Kidding...again..stuck in the 90s....

JJ

Part of the problem is that many Chinese resturants only take cash.  This makes them targets of robbery.

Hobbit

Hey JJ, this wasn't a simple robbery... the two gunmen targeted a table of patrons.

[A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/news-50.html"]Police fear retaliatory shootings[/A] in response to Thursday's shooting. I think that we should better fund the cops so that they can have more officers in the Gang violence squad. I also think our laws should be better enforced and the courts shouldn't be lenient on gang members or drug traffickers.
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

stretchedout

Good to stay away from east van chinese restaurants !
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Lise

Devil wrote:
As for the shooting, whatever, shootings happen. Gun control won't prevent gang bangers from using guns.[/DIV]
     But it's a start. You can make it harder for criminals to get access to guns. Do something to deter access to guns. Anything! Rather than not doing anything about it just restrict guns to those who can use them, like the law enforcers.

Gee. I think we've covered this ground before. TehBorken will probably say more on this issue.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

this is an illegal gun issue Lise. The only way to stop these gangs from getting these guns are
A) tougher border screening
B) decriminalization of marijuana
C) more funding for police gang departments
D) tougher gun sentences
E) tougher gang related crimes

49er

wouldn't be surprise if the shooters are already back in Toronto.  Thats what happens here, the killers return to NY after killing in SF

ripper

49er wrote:
 wouldn't be surprise if the shooters are already back in Toronto.  Thats what happens here, the killers return to NY after killing in SF[/DIV]
 That's so true. Tongs and Triads like to import hitters from other areas. Makes it harder to trace.

Hobbit

Lise wrote:
 But it's a start. You can make it harder for criminals to get access to guns. Do something to deter access to guns. Anything! Rather than not doing anything about it just restrict guns to those who can use them, like the law enforcers.

Gee. I think we've covered this ground before. TehBorken will probably say more on this issue.  

I don't think the gov't is committed to any form of gun control... just look at the gun registry fiasco... millions wasted and then in the end the whole thing was scrapped.

-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

|