Sometimes
1 (16.7%)
Rarely but once or twice
2 (33.3%)
No - never done it
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Lise

Curious to know if anyone here buy gift cards for their friends or family. I just watched a segment on the telly about gift cards and what a scam they are. If you don't read the fine print on the gift cards, you're in for it.

For example, did you know.....

a) some gift cards will charge you interest if you don't use it within 18 months of purchase?

b) most companies will NOT pay your money if you don't decide to use your card?

c) you would have to spend extra $$ to get your money's worth out of the gift card as companies will not pay you the balance?

d) there are some thieves who can actually get your card number (see story below) and 'use' your card?

Since watching that show, I'm more leery about these gift cards.    [FONT size=6]Gift Card Scam[/FONT]

Gift cards can be the perfect present. Easy to carry, easy to wrap, easy to use. But gift cards, especially those good for buying things online, are becoming the target of thieves.

Scam artists don't steal gift cards from the store or out of your pocket. Instead, they go to gift card racks and write down the card numbers. After a few days they call the toll-free customer service number to check the remaining balance on the card. Once they find the card has been activated, the thieves go online and start shopping with your card.

If you buy gift cards from a display rack in the store, you may become a victim.

Tips to avoid gift card scams:

[UL] [LI]Buy gift cards from the person behind the counter if you can. It's safer than buying it off the rack.  [LI]Opt for gift cards that have a protective backing or a scratch-off PIN number so that only the purchaser can use it.  [LI]Check the packaging or the back of the card for tampering before you purchase the card.  [LI]Always keep your receipts, which will usually show the card number and how much you have paid.[/LI][/UL] [A href="http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/133718.html"][FONT size=1]http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/133718.html[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

well everyone knows gift cards expire.
I like to buy them for people because I don't know what to buy people so giving them a 20 dollar gift card is a good idea.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

I voted for the "I rarely buy gift cards."  I find it to be the lazy way out of buying gifts for someone.  In my life, I've only purchased one gift card.  And that was a $20 Starbuck card for my guy. (as a stocking stuffer)    

JJ

I don't buy gift cards anymore, but I did when they first came out. The  people I gave them to didn't use them in time and it ended up they didn't really get a gift.  I would give money first now.

P.C.

Purelife.....I couldn't agree with you more.  I know getting 'money' is always nice.....but gift cards/gift certificates make me feel like I haven't  put any thought into getting someone a gift.  They're like saying "you're not worth the bother of finding out what your interests are and going out to find it....Here....this took me no thought or effort at all.  I hope you like it".....lol

I watched a program that did a run-down on the statistics of uncashed gift certifs and cards.  It's HUGE !!! [FONT size=5] H U G E ![/FONT]  Of course it's a good deal for the store.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

well the funny thing is for me most people just ask for gift cards.
I think we're afraid of gift rejection.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

[HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1]  Well you know.....I wonder if that isn't a part of the whole 'breakdown' in the giving and receiving of gifts.  Who ASKS for a gift, for starters.  And is that a result of receiving gifts that were given with little or no thought  ?  It just seems to me, the whole concept of getting or giving a gift, has been lost somewhere along the line.   I have a friend who has tapped into knowing what would make someone happy.  (often these gifts are too extravagant....but even when they're not.....they're bang on).  They are always something (big or small), that makes me happy....and makes me know that she knows me.  Those are the best gifts.

I can't tell you how many gift certificates have ended up in woodstove for one reason or the other.  Dinners... manicures....spa things...a night at a local resort....etc.  I don't know what it is, but we never seem to make the effort to use them.

Lise

We have a rule whenever we meet for friends' birthday parties. No more gift giving. These days we just meet and treat the person for dinner. Works out well for everyone.

As for me, I generally don't like accepting gifts. I mean, I do appreciate the gesture and am glad that someone would think to give me something but I don't like receiving anything. Just warm wishes and a hug is all I want.

Did you know that companies have over 5 million in gift certificates that go unchecked each year? If no one claims them, the companies just convert them to their assets. That's why they're pushing for gift cards everywhere!  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

I wonder if it's the guys who buy gift cards more than women.  I know some guys on the last minute, would just buy that La Senza gift card for his girl.  It's easy.

People who give me gift cards make me think that they really don't know me too well.  

Just the other day, our grandma gave us $35 Keg gift certificates and 2 free movie passes.  She wouldn't have used them herself.   I don't even know when we would be going to the Keg.  

I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one gift certificate/card with them. :))))  

Lise

Hey purelife, I would totally kiss that person if he or she gave me a $35 Keg card. OMG. I love that place!! STEAKS!!! Your darling would probably enjoy it too.

You should go now. They've got that steak and lobster special. So good!! And I love free warm crusty bread.
Bill Cosby.

lazy Marik

Yes, gift cards are great! Even though it's not very personal, it's still better than nothing. If you get a gift from someone that you don't really intend to use, there's not much you can do with it. With a gift card, you can go buy something that you'd like. As long as your friend has an idea of what places you like to eat at / buy things at, it's perfectly fine!    

P.C.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d0d0d0"]With a gift card, you can go buy something that you'd like. [/FONT]

To me...that's called shopping.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/n020.gif" border=0]  

lazy Marik

haha, yes that is true, but it is more like shopping for free. Less risk than stealing ;)  

P.C.

Giving a well thought out gift is as exciting as getting one....and it usually requires some effort.  I can look around my house and see the thoughtful gifts received from friends and family, and know where and who each one came from.  Dinners and things I've bought from gift certificates are forgotten....for me anyways.

purelife

I couldn't agree with you more, PC. :)))  Whenever I see something that a family/friend gave me, I think of them.