cougar attacks young boy

Started by Hobbit, Aug 03 07 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

eh the key is to stay in the car. One vacation through Shenandoah National Park in Virginia we were driving in the mountains and came across a cub sitting in the road playing with a branch.  
[a href="http://www.nps.gov/shen/"]http://www.nps.gov/shen/[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Maybe like this it is better ?
[a href="http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grizzlymodifiedfordsvt8.jpg"]http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grizzlymodifiedfordsvt8.jpg[/a]

Sportsdude

Michel

[div style="overflow: auto; width: 100%;"][div style="font-style: italic;"]Wow !!!!  How frightening Michel.  He's not exactly a small bear...is he !!!!!!![/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] (when imageshack brings up that picture, if you click on it, it will give you a nice resized image for posting.)

Thanks for the info Miss PC, I tried but it didn't really work. Ah I don't know for you, but for me the link is better, still I would have prefer to post that image directly at that size, I use to be able to do it but not anymore. Silly me, I forgot how. Need practice...

Yeah it's an awesome beast as you said in another post, but not my best pic of grizzly. In tht last trip, I saw 17 grizzllies, 32 black bears and 2 cinnamon bears, mainly north of Terrace area and on the Cassiar highway for the black ones and south of Yukon near Kluane National Park for the grizzlies.

So that was the last pic that I was able to take before the second and last charge. He ran very fast and stop only 2 meters from the car, at that time I was already fast enough to lose him. Still, as I said before, he was the most exciting one. Not the prettiest, but the wildest one, that's for sure.

After the second charge, I backed up to watch him again, but then other cars arrived, he then raised on 2 legs, he seems like 7 or 8 ft tall at that time, look in direction of the cars approaching and just disappear in the forest.

[/div]  

Sportsdude

Michel

You'll be in a good spot to see some SD, Vancouver Island is very wild. Just play safe.

On a sad note, that bear will not live the end of summer if he stay near the road, way too agressive, conservation officers will kill him. Fortunately, it was a preey remote and deserted area with no humans around.

I just can't think what could happen to someone going for a  pee in the bushes, having a flat there (we got two by the way) or if a slow motorcyclist is passing there...

Sportsdude

It is really wild? awesome.
yeah that bear looked like he was auditioning for the bear remake of the shining.

Sportsdude

one of the events I plan on doing is kayaking. My school has kayaking trips that are on my 'international student schedule' so I guess its something they want us to do.  

Michel

It is really wild? awesome.

BC is wild, very wild, probably the wildest part left on Earth. Unfortunately, very hard to get into the land, not enough roads. I saw more wildlife in BC than in Alaska, and way closer also. Vancouver Island is famous for its killer whales and cougars. I'll go there soon, I moved to BC mainly for wildlife.

Michel

yeah that bear looked like he was auditioning for the bear remake of the shining.

lol Yeah I like that pic for that, compare to other grizzlies peacefully munching on dandelions, you really see an expression on this face. This animal thinks, and it's not a preety tought...

I have a good grizzly mother pic with expression looking directly at me too, her cub was just a meter from the car at that time. Nice pics of the little one too. He stand up to look at me when I stand up "inside" the car with my door open to shoot over the bushes.

Sportsdude

That's what I liked about BC too.
The west in the US is being taken over so to speak nothing is truly 'wild' anymore. Too many people.
wow I just looked at the schedule for outdoor events this semester at my school. Ones that interested me the most (for some reason tofino and surfing doesn't seem like fun, I'm not a surfer) mountaineering Mt. Arrowsmith, Piper's Lagoon (rock climbing), hiking the Juan de Fuca trail for two days, Strathcona Park hike, snow shoe trip mt. washington. Strathcona and mt. washington should be awesome because its in nov. and december hopefully there's snow on the ground. gosh I'm going to be busy.

Michel

Busy ? Life is short, enjoy it. As Lelouch wrote at the beginning of his classic comedy L'aventure c'est l'aventure (from memory) : Profitez de la vie, il est plus tard que vous ne le pensez... (enjoy life it's later than you think...)  

Sportsdude

well that's sort of the reasons for moving to b.c. can't stay in boring midwest forever.  

Michel

lol how I understand you. still I would love to vist Cahokia again. Maybe one day...  

Sportsdude

really? lol I guess I'm the only one in first grade that got it the rest were like 'its just a hill woopee'
nevermind on not going to that tofino surf trip, just realized they don't actually surf but watch the surf. awesome.

|