cougar attacks young boy

Started by Hobbit, Aug 03 07 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

2Lazy2LogIn

How does a polar bear know what apples is?

Michel

Anyone ever been attacked while camping or hiking by a wild animal? And I don't mean attacked by your date. :)

Just arrived from Alaska, been charged twice by a grizzly near Muncho Lake BC on the way back. That was the most exciting wildlife encouter of this trip since I was in the car hehehe . Still, I managed to take a few pics, including one just a second before the second charge. Saw 2 grizzly cubs (biggers than adult black bears) running around the car 3 times near Greenville BC on the way north. Have some pics too but probably quite blurry since they were running at 35 km /h and I shot through the dirty windshield. Quite amazing to see the strength of these animals. Had other attacks in other trips too (a bison interrupted charge, moose fake charges, frigate birds in Mexico and johnny rooke (caracara) on Flakland Islands (by far the scariest, believe it or not...) these are the one I remenber for now.

Hobbit

Michel,

Sounds like you've had some great adventures. The kind that you read about in magazines or see on tv.. or wait, read about on forums. :)  
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

Michel

lol, I knew it would be hard to believe, I tried to post a pic of the grizzly before the charge this morning but I'm aint good with internet, so I'll do it tonight.

Michel

[img height=379 src="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pigeonm/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK1F/DSC01493.jpg" width=505]

The caracara charge in the Falklands, I have this old pic in my old emails. Better than nothing as a "proof" for now.

P.C.

Michel....I've got some good news for you....and some bad news.

The good news is, I believe you even without pictures.  The bad news is....there is no picture.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Thanks for believing me, Miss PC lol

Annoying those invisible pics, I just cut and paste it from my email at work and I see it here (at work), but I know there's a lot of pic that I can not see from here, but I see them at home. Anyway, the caracara pic is very dark,half cutted and kind of blurry since I tried to protect my face from his claws while taking the pic, so you can imagine what the pic look like... you don't miss too much.

These agressive caracara are called Johny Rook (spelling ?) and can only be seen on Sea Lion island, one island of the Falklands. They're studied by paleontologists who try to understand how dinosaurs were able to hunt in pack. These behavioural findings have inspired Spielberg for its velociraptors scenes in jurassic park.

According to the Falklanders raising shheps, these animals can killed little sheep by harassing them, exhausting them and frightening them. Once the sheep has broken a leg in it's escape, he's attacked by the birds. They go for the eyes first.

I had one intimidating caracara flying over me and the fellow of the pic. That one followed me like a dog on the beach and then scratched the top of my head with his claws twice. Luckily I was wearing a wool cap.

Here's another cut and paste of the first low flight and also a clearer pic of another caracara following me like a dog before another attack. (just in case anybody could see the pics...)

Imagine an eagle following you like a dog waiting to get a chance to bite you, you get the picture of the way I felt...

[img height=379 src="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pigeonm/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK1F/DSC01420.jpg" width=505]

[img height=379 src="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/pigeonm/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK1F/DSC01492%20(2).jpg" width=505]

If anybody is interested, I have pics of a dead pinguin, his head remove by a caracara, and dead sheeps also.

Oh yea, sorry for the sceptic, I also got charged by a sea lion that same day lol, but ok this one I was top of a cliff and I pitched him some rock so that he move his big a**. lol, he charged to intimidated me but I was too high for that fatso of 900 lbs. Blurry pics availalble on request (I broke my camera on that trip)    

Sportsdude

still not working try tinypic.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Or if you're uncomfortable with TinyPics' policy (as I am)....try Imageshack.

Michel

Grrr, how annoying. I'll post the grizzly pic with shack something (forgot the name) from home. the caracara are not that important (not preety pics)  

Michel

ah imageschack the name i was looking for.

Michel

I'm really bad with imagehack. Whatever, lost enough energy on that.

P.C.

Wow !!!!  How frightening Michel.  He's not exactly a small bear...is he !!!!!!!

(when imageshack brings up that picture, if you click on it, it will give you a nice resized image for posting.)

Sportsdude

frightening? How freaking cool! sweet!  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Well it's cool for US....viewing it in the comfort of safety....and I would be thrilled to see him in real life...but ONLY in the comfort of safety.

Awesome beast Michel.

|