cougar attacks young boy

Started by Hobbit, Aug 03 07 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Hobbit

A [A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/news-45.html"]cougar attacked a 12-year-old boy[/A] who was out camping near Kamloops, BC. Some stranger came and fought off the cougar. When I go hiking I'm always a little worried about wild animal attacks such as from cougars or coyotes. Anyone ever been attacked while camping or hiking by a wild animal? And I don't mean attacked by your date. :)
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

P.C.

I'm a little nervous of the same thing Hobbit.  I didn't used to be....but I seem to be now.

I haven't been attacked, but we rescued a lady who was about to be attacked once.  It was scary.

There was a series of switchbacks winding down from a cabin we were staying at, to the lake.  (Alta Lake)  She had walked right by two cubs playing between the two roads.  She had rounded the next hairpin turn and was heading down the road that would have put her between the cubs and the mama...(who we had just spotted)  charging towards her.  We hopped in our van and drove as fast as we could down the twisty road and pulled up to her...threw open the side door and dragged her in with seconds to spare.  I think she was more frightened of us for a few moments, until she realized what was going on.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Wow! That IS scary!! Talk about you being in the right place at the right time, PC.

I hope we never encounter these beautiful yet deadly creatures. I'm always on the look-out whenever I go hiking. Not just the cougars but bears too. I've even come across a... (I want to say fox but it isn't a fox, a wolf..?) when I was in Central Park of all places. It's tough. You want to enjoy nature but at the same time you're stepping into THEIR territory.

That's why I carry a bear spray whenever we go hiking.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

It's tough. You want to enjoy nature but at the same time you're stepping into THEIR territory.    I like your attitude here Lise.

We are cautious in our own back yard.  So much development in the area has crowded the poor little guys out, and they're confused and sometimes desperate.  [/DIV]

Sportsdude

those would be foxes Lise. No wolves in Central park lol.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

No SD...there ARE wolves.  Central park (our Central park) has been having an ongoing problem with wolves.  

Lise

No, it's not a fox. Definitely not a fox because the fur was grey and not light brown. It's a wolf... but smaller than one. Argh!!! The name escapes me for the moment.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Sportsdude

oh I was thinking of New York. oops.  

P.C.

'sOK....I think I may have been wrong too.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/e058.gif" border=0]

I thought I recalled a story on the news about the wolf problem there.....but now I think it might have been a coyote problem.

Sportsdude

yeah coyotes live in the cities. Too many folks around for wolves.  

JJ

Yes, you have to be careful to watch your cats & dogs because coyotes view them as dinner.  We've had problems in my area.

Sportsdude

I know too well about cats and coyotes. *tear*  

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

[FONT color=#ffffff size=1].[/FONT]
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

P.C.

rofl.....what's wrong with that pic?

|