Pat Robertson calls Islam 'satanic'

Started by Sportsdude, Mar 15 06 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=logo][img height=34 alt="BBC NEWS" src="http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/printer_friendly/news_logo.gif" width=163] [/DIV][DIV class=headline]Top US evangelist targets Islam [/DIV]Outspoken US Christian evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson has accused Muslims of planning world domination, and said some were "satanic". On his live television programme, The 700 Club, he said radical Islamists were inspired by "demonic power". A US religious liberty watchdog called the comments "grossly irresponsible". Mr Robertson had to apologise recently for calling for Venezuela's president to be killed, and saying Ariel Sharon was struck down by divine retribution. [DIV class=bo]His latest comments were expunged from The 700 Club's website, but Mr Robertson's Virginia-based Christian Broadcasting Network confirmed them with a transcript. 'Crazed fanatics' On the programme, the 75-year-old preacher responded to a news item about the reaction of Muslims in Europe to the publishing of cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad. The footage showed Muslims screaming "May Allah bomb you! May Osama Bin Laden bomb you!" Mr Robertson said the pictures "just shows the kind of people we're dealing with. These people are crazed fanatics, and I want to say it now: I believe it's motivated by demonic power. It is satanic and it's time we recognize what we're dealing with". He went on to say that "Islam is not a religion of peace", and "the goal of Islam, ladies and gentlemen whether you like it or not, is world domination". Mr Robertson said in a statement later he was referring specifically to terrorists as being motivated by Satan. 'Gasoline on the fire' The Reverend Barry W Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, called the comments "grossly irresponsible". "At a time when inter-religious tensions around the world are at an all-time high, Robertson seems determined to throw gasoline on the fire," he said. Mr Robertson, who says his programme is watched by a million Americans daily, has come under intense criticism for recent comments. He suggested that American agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez , and said the stroke that left Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in a coma was God's punishment for Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip. In both cases he issued an apology within days.

[/DIV][DIV class=footer]Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/4805952.stm

Published: 2006/03/14 15:37:36 GMT

© BBC MMVI[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

That twit has some serious "hoof in mouth" disease.  I guess he figures as long as something keeps coming out of his mouth he might even get it right eventually.  But talk about attention whores!  He's got to be one of the worst.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

No he did not

Do you even bother reading the junk you post?

Sportsdude

No he did not

Really? Please provide a direct quote of Pat Robertson calling Islam satanic. Hyperbolic tool.

Sportsdude

No he did not wrote:
Really? Please provide a direct quote of Pat Robertson calling Islam satanic. Hyperbolic tool.

"It is satanic and it's time we recognize what we're dealing with".

idiot.

tenkani

So, I was talking about this issue with a friend, and she basically implied that Robertson is right, Islam does promote world domination.

In a sense my friend was correct. You can find portions of the Qur'an that state it is the duty of all believers to spread Islam, with the sword if necessary etc etc.

There is also an important point she missed. Think about what kind of a person a Christian would be if he or she took everything in the old testament literally and lived their life by it. They would kill their children for talking back, participate in genocide against those who worshipped false gods and so on.

The Qur'an contains nonsense and madness, but so does the Christian bible. Moderate Muslims (and Christians) attempt to apply the lessons of their holy books to modern life without being bound to literal interpretations of ancient texts. There really isn't that much difference between a moderate muslim and a moderate Christian. As there is little difference (in attitude at least) between a fundie Muslim and a fundi Christian.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

The Qu'ran says Jesus will come again. There isn't a lot of differnce between the two except for a few side things. I'm going to get vilified for this but I believe that islam is to christianity what being a mormon is to christianity. Church of latter day saints say the same thing about Jesus and what not but they have there own book called the book of mormon which is a hard read, read it in the church library once.  The Qu'ran for example mentions and talks about Jesus more than Mohammed. For a religion where Mohammed is their prophet having Jesus talked about more and in the book it says Jesus will come again albeit after the 12th Iman I believe comes back. (That mosque that was blown up in Iraq had to do with the 12th Iman.)

tenkani

Yeah well Christianity, Judaism and Islam all come from the same root religion, which in turn was pieced together from other, older faiths.

Damn, where is Witch when you need him...

Sportsdude

they like three brothers who don't get along. Same father, but they hate each other so much they deny blood.

tenkani

Wow, that's actually a great way to put it. What a disfunctional family.

Basically, I have a problem with any faith that encourages killing people because they believe in a different invisible man than you do. It's great that moderates can overlook those directives, on the other hand, I would just have trouble following a religion with that material in the holy book, regardless of whether everyone follows it or not.

CK

killing people because they believe in a different invisible man than you do.

Nice way to put it. That is beautiful!

tenkani

LOL. I have to give credit where it's due.[/DIV]Teh George Carlin came up with that one    

TehBorken

Pat Robertson just never knows when to shutup, does he?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

Why censor yourself when God is on your side.[/DIV]When you believe that the source of your inspiration is divine, is it not your responsibility to share it with the world?