Burnaby oil spill

Started by Hobbit, Jul 25 07 02:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbit

I read the [A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/news-38.html"]daily news[/A] about the Burnaby oil spill.   Anyone affected by the oil spill? Will home insurance cover the costs of the clean-up? What about the people responsible, shouldn't they have to pay for cleanup?
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

Lil Me

Hobbit wrote:
I read the [a  href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/news-38.html"]daily news[/a] about the Burnaby oil spill.   Anyone affected by the oil spill?
 --
 Just indirectly.  Traffic has been brutal in the tri-cities.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Who's responsible for the spillage?

On the side note, look what my spam-bot came up with..... snicker, snicker.....

[TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]dl[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]poo[/TD] [TD]e[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT size=10 value=poodle name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Theyre trying to figure out who's responsible.. Kinder Morgan says they told the city exactly where their pipe was, and its the contractors fault. who knows though.. something like this happened to Kinder Morgan before in California with one of their pipelines.

From what I have understood is that the contractor is paying for the cost of the whole cleanup, and the city is launching to see who's responsible, who will ultimatley foot the bill. As far as I understand the homeowner will not have to pay a penny for cleanup under their insurance, why should they? the contractor hit the pipe digging doing what teh city told them to.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

I'd assume the homeowner makes a claim to their insurance company, which in turn will go after the contractor's insurer.

I heard tonight that the pipe on the blueprints was shown 7.5m away from the actual pipe.  Oooops.

Mr LM used to be a contractor- his guys drilled into a water pipe at CCRA in Surrey.  Plans didn't show a pipe in that location.  Crap happens.  That's why contrators carry liability insurance...

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

That is so brutal though?

I am curious, how long has that pipe been there? I would bet the City had the oil line on their provided maps.

I seen this happen on a construction site in the Kootenays too, fortunately, it was a water line and not oil.

P.C.

Although I feel badly for the people and their lovely homes....they will have the means to clean things up and carry on.  It's all the wildlife that will be affected that makes me so sad.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Devil

Or that family that was just about to move in! Looked like a kick ass house on the news too.  

But yes, the environmental damage there makes me pissed!

49er

we have Underground Service Alert (USA), a free one call service before you dig.  Contractor or property owner marks out the boundary of the excavation and utility companies will come out within two working days of the call and locate their underground utility lines.  

However, shit happens as was the case of Kinder Morgan pipeline explosion which killed two workers in the Bay Area.  If I remember correctly, Kinder Morgan incorrectly located their fuel line.

Lil Me

We have "Call before you dig" here as well.  Pfffft.  The gas utility forgot to do that once.  They excavated my phone line.  

Lise

But these guys are professionals, right? I mean, how can you MISS this huge pipeline?? Don't they have some kinda of sonar or metal detector thingee that detects these sorta things?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Devil

I agree Lise, there is no excuse. If the pipe has been there for years, or 2 days, there is no excuse!

Sportsdude

[h1 class="title"][a href="http://www.straight.com/article-102990/pipeline-required-inspector"]                           Pipeline required inspector[/a][/h1]
The company that owns a ruptured pipeline in North Burnaby, Kinder Morgan Canada Inc., was required to have an inspector on-site during construction. On July 24, a crew with B. Cusano Contracting Inc. punctured the pipeline beneath Inlet Drive near the corner of Barnet Highway and East Hastings Street, spewing crude oil 30 metres in the air for approximately 25 minutes, according to news reports.[/p]    Federal regulations set a 30-metre safety zone around pipelines; within that area, any construction needs prior approval from the pipeline operator, according to a statement on the Kinder Morgan Canada Web site ([a href="http://www.tmxproject.com/" title="www.tmxproject.com/"]www.tmxproject.com/[/a]).[/p]    Kinder Morgan Canada, a subsidiary of Texas-based pipeline giant Kinder Morgan, cited guidelines published by the pipeline's previous owner, Terasen Inc., which it took over in 2005. The guidelines specify that an inspector "locates Pipeline(s) and inspects during Construction Activities in accordance with NEB [National Energy Board] Pipeline Crossing Regulations. Prior to any Construction within Terasen's Right-of-Way or Excavation within the 30m Safety Zone, a Terasen Inspector is to be on-site and all construction is to be carried out in accordance with the Inspector's direction and all applicable conditions and legislation."[/p][a href="http://www.straight.com/article-102990/pipeline-required-inspector"]http://www.straight.com/article-102990/pipeline-required-inspector[/a]

hmmm I smell giant lawsuit coming.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Got my feet covered in muddy oil slick on the North Shore of Port Moody today.  Put the running shoes through the washing machine and everything is ok.  

Sportsdude

oh noes hope the shoes weren't white.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."