Court says "no fundamental right" to sex toys

Started by TehBorken, Mar 15 06 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Court upholds sex toy ban, no fundamental right to dildos        [/h3]Sad news for sex-positive folk in Mississippi: a federal appeals court has upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit filed by an adult shop challenging that state's ban on the sale of sex toys. In other words, it remains a crime for responsible adults to sell vibrators to other adults there, but a gun? No problem![blockquote][img]http://www.boingboing.net/images/bondageduckie.jpg" align="left" border="0" height="148" width="150"]Adam and Eve and ZJ Gifts LLC, the Memphis-based owner of Christal's chain of adult stores, sued the state of Mississippi in 2000. Thecompany, which closed an adult store in Southaven in 2001, claimed the law barring the sale of certain adult devices was unconstitutional.A Hinds County judge ruled in 2003 that state law does not extend the right to privacy to the commercial sale of sexual devices. The Mississippi high court said there is no fundamental right of access tobuy sexual devices.[/p]The justices said while a federal court had found a similar Alabama law was unconstitutional, other courts — including ones in Georgia, Louisiana and Texas — have rejected attempts to expand the right to privacy to include the commercial sale of sex toys.[br clear="all"][/p][/blockquote][a href="http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/NEWS/60314014"]Link to the whole stupid story[/a]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

this is heading to the supreme court I bet.[/DIV]hell if they can listen to anna nichole smith they can listen to a sex toy case.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

perpetual

This is what cracks me up about the USA.  Isn't it also illegal to have sex toy shops (i.e., like womynsware here in Vancouver?) in Georgia so the only way people can get sex toys is to order them online?

If I am President of the USA, sex toys (and anal sex) will be made legal!  Vote for moi in 2008!  

Sportsdude

but you can buy an uzi and a gun show without a background check.

perpetual

Sportsdude wrote:
but you can buy an uzi and a gun show without a background check.[/DIV]
It is AGAINST the law to NOT have a gun in Kenneesaw, GA.  An ex-Marine told me that.  I didn't believe him until I checked it out myself.  How crazy is that?

TehBorken

perpetualacademe wrote:[strong style="font-style: italic;"][em][/em][/b]
[div style="font-style: italic;"]It is AGAINST the law to NOT have a gun in Kenneesaw, GA.  An ex-Marine told me that.  I didn't believe him until I checked it out myself.  How crazy is that?[/div]
Personally I think it's a great idea. "An armed society is a polite society." And the crime rate in Kennesaw is practically non-existent. It works well for Switzerland, where you are by law required to have a machine-gun in good working order stored in your home.

Sportsdude

sad thing is, is when you bring up a handgun registry, farmers and nra lovers start yelling that they're going to take away there pride and joy, the shotgun and rifle. But they are too stupid to read the bill that clearly states HANDGUN and not SHOTGUN OR RIFLE. jesus.

perpetual

TehBorken wrote:
perpetualacademe wrote:[STRONG style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][/b][BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][DIV style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]It is AGAINST the law to NOT have a gun in Kenneesaw, GA.  An ex-Marine told me that.  I didn't believe him until I checked it out myself.  How crazy is that?[/DIV]Personally I think it's a great idea. "An armed society is a polite society." And the crime rate in Kennesaw is practically non-existent. It works well for Switzerland, where you are by law required to have a machine-gun in good working order stored in your home.

Are you serious about Switzerland?  I do know they have those bazookas hidden in the mountains, but in the homes?

Sportsdude

yeah Switzerland is a giant fortress and each home must have a bunker and the govt. supplies you with ak-47s.

TehBorken

perpetualacademe wrote:
Are you serious about Switzerland?  I do know they have those bazookas hidden in the mountains, but in the homes?[/b]

Switzerland keeps only a small standing army, and relies much moreheavily on its militia system for national defense. This means that mostable-bodied civilian men of military age keep weapons at home in case ofa national emergency. These weapons are fully automatic, military assaultrifles, and by law they must be kept locked up. Their issue of 72 roundsof ammunition must be sealed, and it is strictly accounted for. This complicatestheir use for criminal purposes, in that they are difficult to conceal,and their use will be eventually discovered by the authorities.

"What will you do if I send 20,000 men over the Alpine passes?" the German general asked his Swiss counterpart.
"I'd tell my soldiers to shoot," the Swiss general replied.
"And if I send 40,000 men?" theGerman general asked.
"I'll tell them to shoot twice."

Another link: [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland[/a]

Witch

Sportsdude wrote:
yeah Switzerland is a giant fortress and each home must have a bunker and the govt. supplies you with ak-47s.[/DIV]
Witch replies:

ak-47's are not machine guns. Should people who don't know what guns are be allowed to own them? ;)

Sportsdude

its swiss law and every male and I think woman now has to go through some kind of military training. They do the same thing in Norway except minus the guns in mountains and in the homes.

TehBorken

Witch replies:[div style="font-style: italic;"]ak-47's are not machine guns. Should people who don't know what guns are be allowed to own them? ;)[/div]
The AK is definitely a machine gun (in the original configuration.) You may be referring to the civilian version, which is semi-auto.

Caliber 7.62x39 mm
Action:  Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
Overall length: 870 mm
Barrel length: 415 mm
Weight, with empty magazine: AK 4,3 kg; AKM 3,14 kg
Magazine capacity 30 rounds (40 rounds box magazines and 75 rounds drums from RPK also may be used)
Cyclic rate of fire 600 rounds per minute
Maximum effective range: about 400 meters
[h3]Kalashnikov AK-47 and AKM assault rifles (USSR)[/h3]
Kalashnikov AK (the original AK-47 with combination stamped / milled receiver)[img]http://world.guns.ru/assault/ak_54.jpg" border="0"]
Modified AK (1955 manufacture), with machined receiver. Note the distinctive machined cuts above and forward of the magazine well.[/p]

Sportsdude

machine gun can generally be refered to as an automatic weapon.[/DIV]An Uzi for example which is the size of a large handgun is a machine gun because its an automatic.