Eat Your Peas

Started by P.C., Jul 20 07 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

What foods did you hate as a child, that you still hate now.

Or the other way around.....what did you like as a child, that you can't stomach now.

For me it's brussels sprouts.....GAK !  Even the smell of them now will still make me yak.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

yeah I never really liked eating those. They just didn't have any taste. But I ate everything otherwise.

I'm not a sweet tooth.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

And another thought....

What food did you hate as a child that you like now ?  

Lil Me

I've never been a fan of fu gua (bitter melon).  It tastes like chewing an asprin.

And I don't like frisee lettuce.  I pick it out of the mixed salad greens every time.

Nor do I enjoy carraway seeds, poppy seeds, dried currents or onion bits on a bagel.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Hey P.C.- Your dislike is due to a genetic defence mechanism...
 [a href="http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng.asp?id=70814-bitterness-taste-vegetables"]http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng.asp?id=70814-bitterness-taste-vegetables[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I used to like hamburgers and hot dogs but I can't stomach those much anymore. I only eat those things maybe 3 times a year.

P.C.

That's funny Lil Me....I'm not big on onion bits on a bun either....ptewwwi.

I've never had that aspirin fruit.... by the sounds of it....I'll pass.

P.C.

Interesting study.  I knew there was a higher explanation.  And apparently I'm not alone.  There is a whole forum on this nasty piece of veg.  I hate brussels sprouts

[A href="http://forums.gumtree.com/about39933.html&highlight"]http://forums.gumtree.com/about39933.html&highlight[/A]=   (jk....sort of)  

Lise

I love food. Most of it. I do agree with Lil Me on the bittergroud. Those taste really, really bad but my daddy, he loves em to bits. I dunno why.

I HATE, absolutely HATE Chinese medicine in whatever broth, concoction of whatever-off-the-shelf-grandma-swears-by-it medicine. GROSS. They would forced me to drink those vile stuff. I remmeber drinking a mug (with 1 hard-boiled egg) after getting my period. I used to dread getting my period.

Ginseng stuff. The root's supposed to be good for you but I can't say much for the taste.

Funny thing about brussel sprouts. I grew up on them and they're not that bad. We usually soak them in water then stir fry them with garlic.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Forgot to say 'olives' on pizza. Ick.

And capers. Why do they always put capers with smoked salmon, I will never understand.

Also some cheese. Like fungus... I mean, mould growing on them. Blue cheese? I understand it's a delicacy but man... one sniff and I'm gone.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

lol Lise.  Yes....some of those cheeses smell much worse than they taste.

I love capers.  I used to make pickled nasturtiam buds....really yummy.

Sportsdude

haha moldy cheese! My grandma would say its still good chop the mold off and then eat the non mold stuff. lol

kek

kitten

As a child I hated turnip and parsnip.  Some things don't change!  I still don't like them.  But I enjoy Brussels sprouts.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

As a child I hated turnip and parsnip.....STILL DO.  Although.....I remember once eating at this lovely little restaurant, and hubby had a little bite of a wedge shaped pate thing.  He asked me to taste it, and tell him what it was, as he couldn't place it.  I asked him to be sure it wasn't turnip, as it would make me yak and he assured me it wasn't turnip.  So I tasted it, and it was exquisite.  I had no idea what it was though.  We asked the chef later, and he told us it was turnip.

So kek...you eat all.....but did you even eat all as a kid?