Vancouver Garbage Strike

Started by Lise, Jul 20 07 07:34

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

if you read the contract on page 55. The guys picking up the trash make 18 to 19 dollars an hour.
nobody makes 27 an hour stocking shelves they make 8hr. And you'd be surprised I could never get a job at the grocery stores here, all the 40/50 somethings who needed a second job to pay the bills got those jobs. Teen unemployment is high in the states and I bet Canada too.

Well SD...perhaps what unions do in the states is different than what they do here.  Nobody here make $8 stocking shelves.  And YES....there was a time....due to unions...that kids were making $27 an hour stocking shelves.  I KNOW this to be true.  It had nothing to do with the JOB....and everything to do with the unions.  They cast an urealistic haze onto the actual WORTH of a job.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

28k a year. there's the school tutition paid off if he or she is going to school. If not then he or she will barely be able to afford an apartment in Vancouver.

[a href="http://startnow.workfutures.bc.ca/pdfs_en/NOC6622.pdf"]http://startnow.workfutures.bc.ca/pdfs_en/NOC6622.pdf[/a]

About $8-$22/hour. If this is a first job, you
may make $6/hour for the first three
months of full-time work.

teens first job, won't be making much. And teens never work full time. They've got school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[h1 class="title"][a href="http://www.straight.com/article-94156/mothers-under-siege"]                           Mothers under siege[/a][/h1]
Raven Prince works hard to create a loving home for her kids, Tatiana and Terence, but she could face a daycare crisis this fall.
Some say the B.C. government has violated the human rights of single moms with its punitive social policies.[/p] Raven Prince has a job at a bank, doesn't collect welfare, and works hard to provide a good life for her two kids. However, during an interview in her tidy East Vancouver apartment, she told the Georgia Straight that she still senses a stigma associated with being a single aboriginal mom when she goes out with her children. She said that in some stores, she feels like she's under surveillance.[/p]"People are always staring," Prince said. "I always feel singled out or something—when I'm going shopping, especially. I always feel like I have to buy certain stuff just so they don't think less of me."[/p]That's not her greatest anxiety, though. The 26-year-old single mom has been on a waiting list for more than a year for daycare for her three-year-old son, Terence. This September, she will also need after-school care for her five-year-old daughter, Tatiana, who will be starting Grade 1. She won't find out until August if Terence has been accepted.[/p]Prince has been able to work 22.5 hours per week at the bank because her mother has been looking after Terence and Tatiana during the day. "My mom baby-sits; I'm lucky to have her," Prince said. "But now she's going to go back to school in September. Now it's a matter of finding someone who is going to watch him."[/p]Like Prince, thousands of single parents across the province struggle with trying to earn a decent income, finding daycare, and ensuring their kids get a good start in life. But new data from Statistics Canada show that whereas the incomes of Vancouver single fathers have increased in recent years, the incomes of single mothers are in decline. This has some women's rights and antipoverty activists claiming that B.C. Liberal government policies discriminate against single mothers, who are among the poorest citizens of the province. In a curious twist, the premier and the attorney general were both raised by single mothers.[/p]Prince said that her children's father has another family and she isn't receiving family-maintenance payments from him. Each day, she leaves her subsidized Native housing project in East Vancouver and takes the bus to work on the city's West Side. The closest child-care centre is several blocks from her home. It makes her wish she could have attended a recent demonstration for daycare in Vancouver.[/p]"I would love to have been at that protest, saying, 'Yeah, we need daycare,'" she said with a smile. "But I had to be at work. I can't afford to take a day off."[/p]If there's nobody to care for her kids, Prince might have no alternative but to go on welfare. As a single parent "expected to work" with two children, she would receive $1,036 per month in social assistance. [/p]The current welfare rate is far lower than Prince's annual income, which clears $20,000. It's also significantly lower than the $1,368 per month that a single employable parent with two kids would get if the B.C. Liberal government had indexed the welfare rate to inflation, according to a welfare-advocacy coalition called Raise the Rates.[/p]
"In late May, Statistics Canada reported that half of the single-parent families in Canada earned less than $30,000 in 2005. The median total income of single mothers in Vancouver in 2005 was $27,700, down from $29,000 the previous year. The median total income for male single parents in Vancouver, on the other hand, went up from $41,900 to $45,500 over the same period."
[a href="http://www.straight.com/article-94156/mothers-under-siege"]
http://www.straight.com/article-94156/mothers-under-siege[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

ripper

Ace wrote:
And remember this, people...  When your employer says, "We can't give you a raise, as profit margins are slim."
Nine times out of ten, he's laughing all the way to the bank...

Typical union mentality. Maybe the fact that he/she is "laughing all the way to the bank" is well deserved. You seem to feel that the owner and the workers should be equal partners. Never mind that it was the owners who put up their own money, many times their life's savings, to start said enterprise. They take all the risks. They spend countless slaving away to start their business. When their employees go home they are still there.When business is slow the employees still must be paid even if he/she must take out a loan to keep afloat. And for all their troubles they should be equal partners with their employees. Yeah right.

Ace

I've made previous employers thousands of dollars in profits in one day.  In fact, one's worth many millions!  Sad but true, that prick wouldn't give me a buck or two raise...  The money is there, don't fool yourself.  
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Ace

The problem is, people get greedy.  I call it the 'Jimmy Pattison Syndrome'...
The more you make, the greedier you get.  It becomes a mental illness when you have more than you could ever spend, yet still feel compelled to find new ways to screw over your employees..,.

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

ripper

Whether the money is there is not the point. We have all worked in crappy jobs with long hours and shitty pay. However your employer does not owe you a living. You do. I obviously don't know what you do or what your education level is. Nor am i here to deride you. However, if you are so unhappy with your current situation, maybe it's time to quit. Go back to school. Earn a degree or learn a trade. Take control of your own life.ed  

Ace

I'm not unhappy at all, my friend.  In fact, I rarely complain...  I'm just sick of watching companies earn record profits while finding new ways to screw over their employees...  

ripper

Yes some companies are earning record profits. And yes some companies screw over their employees, most notably banks. However it's nothing personal. It's strictly business. The CEO's are under tremendous pressure to cut expenses and maximize profits. And this pressure comes from people like you and me. Shareholders of said companies. Capitalism at it's best and worst.

Hobbit

The mayor doesn't want to get his hands dirty getting messed up in all this. That way he can keep the union vote and the rest of the public's vote. If it looks like he takes sides at all then he's likely to lose votes. Better to take hands-off approach and then if everything goes bad blame someone else.
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

Garbage in Calgary

I,m a garbage man in calgary and I can tell you we don't make $30 a hour ! I make less then $20 a hour.   The City of Calgary is the only full time job I have ever worked that Does'nt pay for any of my Alberta health care. Also if it was such a easy and slack job picking up garbage why cant they keep people, They hired 40 people this summer and over 30 have quit. I guess picking up 10 -18 thousand kilograms a garbage by your self  a day is'nt that easy. So next time you call a garbage man lazy go and try his job and keep your mouth shut !      

49er

my garbageman doesn't even gets out of the truck.  He pulls up next to the garbage, recycle or lawn clipping can and operate the mechanical arm which graps the can and dumps the contents into the truck.  How do they do it in Vancouver?

garbage in calgary

49er wrote:
 my garbageman doesn't even gets out of the truck.  He pulls up next to the garbage, recycle or lawn clipping can and operate the mechanical arm which graps the can and dumps the contents into the truck.  How do they do it in Vancouver?[/DIV]
 In Calgary it is all hand collection on automation.

garbage in calgary

garbage in calgary wrote:
49er wrote:
 my garbageman doesn't even gets out of the truck.  He pulls up next to the garbage, recycle or lawn clipping can and operate the mechanical arm which graps the can and dumps the contents into the truck.  How do they do it in Vancouver?[/DIV]
 In Calgary it is all hand collection on automation.[/DIV]
 Sorry. thats no automation

Russ

We use the arms 49er.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

darn I should move my new thread into this one.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|