Vancouver Garbage Strike

Started by Lise, Jul 20 07 07:34

Previous topic - Next topic

ripper

Lil Me .

I think CUPE sees prosperity in the City of Vancouver with mega development and increased tax revenue.  They just want a share of the pie...most City workers can't afford to live in the City.  Not stating my personal opinion- just sharing facts.

Are you kidding me or what. They make over $20 an hour to start. Throw in their overly generous benefits and your probably closer to $35 an hour. All this with a grade three education. As for the piece of the pie, yeah right. It's just typical union mentality. The whole world owes me a living.

Devil

That is the word I was looking for...Owed!

A lot of unionized workers are just looking for what is "owed" to them, and end up worrying about it more that actually working their jobs.

Unionized workers think the cost of living is expensive in Vancouver? Join the club.

purelife

It's just typical union mentality. The whole world owes me a living.

Agreed!  That is the mentality of most unionized workers.  Their mentality is "Well, the City is making tons of money and I'm kicked to the curb.  I want more money!"  For f*ck sakes, quit the whining.  Vancouver is expensive for EVERYONE!  

Union workers have it made.  They should realize that they are so lucky, with all the protection they're getting even when they slack off!  Unions were good at one point to protect workers from losing their jobs, now, people abuse the system.  

Russ

Ive tried to keep myself out of this thread because Im on vacation but i cant..

I agree with the Devil on his findings.. as well as ripper. dammit bud I cant 'bless' you if you arent registered.

You know the retarded fact? In the private sector if a group of employee's were to not show up for, oh say, monday to thursday.. they would be fired and replaced soonest. Wait! Is the brainless job these people do highly paid and many people are waiting to work there???? Um... I dont see the problem...

To be honest.. TRADE unions that are NOT goverment unions are more like the European Guilds in the days past. I am of the opinion that government workers should not be allowed to be union.. and be able to chokehold the government and the people the entrust the government. I mean.. The government (say civic level) is only the middlemen put there by the taxpayers to keep their interests, the city union has demanded more money, and the taxpayers will have to be choked even more.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

ripper

Okay Russ i finally took the plunge. Bless away.

ripper

Russ wrote:
     To be honest.. TRADE unions that are NOT goverment unions are more like the European Guilds in the days past. I am of the opinion that government workers should not be allowed to be union.. and be able to chokehold the government and the people the entrust the government. I mean.. The government (say civic level) is only the middlemen put there by the taxpayers to keep their interests, the city union has demanded more money, and the taxpayers will have to be choked even more.[/DIV]
 I totally agree. Trade unions have to work hard and must maintain a level of  competence. Civic workers are held to no such standards. They know that no matter how lazy and incompetent they are, there is no consequence. They know this because they have a monopoly. Does anyone here remember the postal workers and their arrogant union leader. Jean Claude Parrott was his name. Every year he would threaten strike on Christmas because he knew theirs was the only game in town. Ever wonder why they never go on strike anymore. Competition. From e-mails to couriers to Western Union they have become redundant. And they know it.

49er

what so ironic is that the people representing the city (the management) in the negotiations are civil servants themselves......ie. at a minimum, what ever COLA or benefits they give up, they themselves will enjoy

P.C.

I remember a couple years ago, there was some kind of strike going on....hotel workers (?)....can't remember as I pay these people little attention.  I think they worked in the pub or bar of the hotel.  Anyways, they parked themselves in the liquor store parking lot with signs like "Disgruntled Employees" etc.  My hubby went in and I waited in the car.  They were all giving me the evil eye.  As we were leaving the parking lot...waiting to pull into the traffic, one woman came up the car window and started yelling at us.  One of her comments..."You can't NOT have beer for ONE DAY....get some help"  Rather amusing comment from someone who works in a bar.

I was livid.  Needless to say.....I would never spend a nickel in their establishment ever. It occurred to me that maybe their unhappiness in their workplace stemmed directly from their bad attitudes.  What makes them think that the world needs to support a cause that is between them and their employer?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

ripper

P.C. wrote:
 I remember a couple years ago, there was some kind of strike going on....hotel workers (?)....can't remember as I pay these people little attention.  I think they worked in the pub or bar of the hotel.  Anyways, they parked themselves in the liquor store parking lot with signs like "Disgruntled Employees" etc.  My hubby went in and I waited in the car.  They were all giving me the evil eye.  As we were leaving the parking lot...waiting to pull into the traffic, one woman came up the car window and started yelling at us.  One of her comments..."You can't NOT have beer for ONE DAY....get some help"  Rather amusing comment from someone who works in a bar.

I was livid.  Needless to say.....I would never spend a nickel in their establishment ever. It occurred to me that maybe their unhappiness in their workplace stemmed directly from their bad attitudes.  What makes them think that the world needs to support a cause that is between them and their employer?[/DIV]
 Because that is the nature of unions and their members. They are nothing but glorified thugs. From vandalism to outright assaults, the name of the game is intimidation and inconvenience. You were lucky they didn't either blocked you in, while preaching to you about the virtues of their "struggle", or damage your car.

P.C.

Exactly ripper.  

I was tempted to go to the pub when they were back to work, and give her a really good tip.  

[FONT size=2]"REMEMBER: The TOES You Step On Today May Be Attached To The ASS You Will Have To Kiss Tomorrow"[/FONT]

P.C.

Oh yea.....and nice to see you have signed on.  Welcome ! (even though you were welcome before you signed on....lol)

Lise

Wow. Did anyone see this? Volunteers were cleaning up English Bay after the fireworks only to be criticized by the union. Probaby not a good move to win the public support......

[FONT size=6]Union criticizes beach volunteers[/FONT]

The man representing striking garbage workers criticized 20 volunteers who cleaned up the trash at Kits Beach and English Bay yesterday after Wednesday night's fireworks.

The volunteers, employed by Houston Landscapes, put on their gloves at 5:30 a.m. to clean up the "disaster" they say was left by the 250,000 fireworks fans.

It took the volunteers an hour and a half to gather up more than 40 bags of refuse.

Mike Jackson, president of CUPE 1004, representing outside workers, called the volunteer effort "unacceptable." He said the union wants city managers to deal with the mess. And, he said, he suspects the volunteers were paid.

"I guess the big question is: why all of a sudden did they do this? Is it for their benefit?" he asked. "You can't prove that they're not getting paid by the company . . . all I'm saying is that it's just disappointing."

[A href="http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=f3d08076-5555-4066-b9c8-2bb3f2889786&k=61560"][FONT size=1]http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=f3d08076-5555-4066-b9c8-2bb3f2889786&k=61560[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

unions aren't the problem its the leaders that give it a bad name. They're always idiots.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

ripper

You seem to forget Sportsdude that it's the members themselves who vote in their leader. They are the ones who dictate the personality of the union.

P.C.

With all due respect to SD....I think he has taken his stand on this issue from his grandfather.....which in fact may have been an era that unions had a point.  

|