Vancouver Garbage Strike

Started by Lise, Jul 20 07 07:34

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Devil

I think unions suck, but to each their own. That is my opinion.

When you get some real world experience in unions vs. non-unions, come back and we can discuss more.

Sportsdude

been in both. Just like everything nothing is perfect. There are holes in unions and holes in non unions.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

And there are holes in donuts, too.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

All I know is, the company I am with, and all our competitors that are non-union, pay much better than the union level. The benefits are better too. In BC and AB.

I seen too much crap go on in unions. Lazy bastards!!!  

Sportsdude

yes, and it's been proven that those companies are like that way because of unions. Union leaders piss me off too, they think that they're the only ones in town still. They're not. Like I said "corporate welfare" has taken place in corporations to the point that you have better benefits working for the companies then unions.
But the difference between unions and non unions now is that the benefits only work while your working for the company. Once you retire you're on your own.
Best example is working for Toyota.
You get paid just as good as a worker at a GM plant but the benefits stop once you stop working for them. GM stays with you until the grave. GM is having problems paying health care because we in this country don't have any kind of universal health care. Canada manufacturing doesn't have this problem. Anyway that's for another thread.

P.C.

I'm with you all the way on this one Devil.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Devil

I don't think our company treats their employees good, "because of unions". I am pretty sure it is because we need good employees, and will do what we can to keep people happy so they don't go across the street for something better.

I am not sure what benefit you would be talking about after you quit, or get laid off from a union job after employment is finished? CPP is for all employees. Aside from that, where I work offers a seperate pension, and/or RRSP matchings. Our rates go above unionized places too.

Not too many topics get me going, but union talk gets my blood boiling. ha!

P.C.

I'm the same way Devil.  Unions had their time and their place.....but not since the 40's in my opinion.  What unions did then has been replaced with labour laws.  

Sportsdude

Devil wrote:
I don't think our company treats their employees good, "because of unions". I am pretty sure it is because we need good employees, and will do what we can to keep people happy so they don't go across the street for something better.

I am not sure what benefit you would be talking about after you quit, or get laid off from a union job after employment is finished? CPP is for all employees. Aside from that, where I work offers a seperate pension, and/or RRSP matchings. Our rates go above unionized places too.

Not too many topics get me going, but union talk gets my blood boiling. ha!
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]You work for Toyota/Honda/Hyundai your association stops with them once you retire/quit. GM/Ford/Chrysler it stops until you die.

yes they did. I'm never going to win this argument with you guys but because of unions corporations are like the way they are today. Union's did their job from the 20's to 70's of pushing un-unionized corporations to give out benefits that equal or better the union jobs. The unions problems are because they're stuck in a time warp. They haven't evolved the way they should have. They tied themselves to manufacturing and they'll go down with that ship. They still act like they have power, they don't.
The problem unions will always face is that they were created back in the 1880's to make working safe and equal and fair. The problem is they've done their job, reached their goal. So now they become sort of piggish.

Lise

Uhm. I vote that Devil be our Union Leader. ALL HAIL SUPREME LEADER OF THE UNIVERSE!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Exactly what do you think they're protecting now?

They are redundant.  They are a business unto themselves.

ripper

P.C. wrote:
  Exactly what do you think they're protecting now?

The lazy and incompetent employees.

Devil

Sportsdude wrote:
  I'm never going to win this argument with you guys but because of unions corporations are like the way they are today.
   It is not really a win/lose argument is it? It is just our own opinions. Its all good sports!

purelife

Ok, just finished reading this entire thread.  

I am also agreeing with your points about the unions, Devil.  I really hate unions too.   And I have heard and seen union workers get away with so much sh*t, it's not even funny.  In a non-union environment, his a** would be fired!  I promised myself to never work for a union.  And so far, I've kept it.  

Lil Me

To swing this back to the garbage strike in question- it's a power struggle that's gonna go on for a while.  City wants CUPE workers to sign a 39 month contract (instead of 36) to ensure labour throughout 2010 games.  CUPE says "you're gonna pay for it".  Pissing match ensues.  It's a stalemate right now.  Noone's negotiating yet.

I think CUPE sees prosperity in the City of Vancouver with mega development and increased tax revenue.  They just want a share of the pie...most City workers can't afford to live in the City.  Not stating my personal opinion- just sharing facts.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|