Statue of Christ the Redeemer Rio de Janeiro

The Colosseum in Rome

The Great Wall of China

Machu Picchu, Peru

Petra, Jordan

Taj Mahal, India

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Of the New Seven Wonders, I've been to Roma and seen the Coloseum. Fantastic. I've still to go see the rest......

Y'know, they really should put Ancient Egypt there. The pyramids deserve to be part of it.

If memory serves me right, aren't there two sets of Wonders? The old one and the new one?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

its sort of a sham that the pyramids and the Parthenon aren't on this list. That's a travesty in my opinion. I don't like it that this list wasn't compiled by the experts just regular folks. And then some nations promoted their 'wonders'

Never been to any of these places but I studied Inca culture for a half a semester in high school. Its still a mystery to how they got all the stones up there on the mountain.

Sportsdude

Well well UNESCO is not happy over this list.

[h1] UNESCO slams seven 'new' wonders of the world list[/h1]
 The UN body for culture on Sunday blasted a private initiative that drew nearly 100 million Internet and telephone voters to choose seven "new" wonders of the world.[/p]  "This campaign responds to other criteria and objectives than that of UNESCO in the field of heritage," said Sue Williams, the spokeswoman for UNESCO, the UN cultural body that designates world heritage sites.[/p]   "We have a much broader vision," she told AFP.[/p]  Voters chose the Great Wall of China; India's Taj Mahal; the centuries-old pink ruins of Petra in Jordan; the Colosseum in Rome; the statue of Christ overlooking Rio de Janeiro; the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru; and the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza in Mexico.[/p]  British actor Ben Kingsley and US actress Hillary Swank hosted a ceremony at Lisbon's Stadium of Light, broadcast in more than 170 countries to an estimated 1.6 billion viewers.[/p]  A private Swiss foundation launched the contest in January, allowing voters to choose from 21 sites short-listed out of 77. It said it had gathered nearly 100 million votes by the end of polling at midnight Friday.[/p]  According to its backers, the campaign aimed to update the original list of seven world wonders, drawn up in around 200 BC, of which only the pyramids of Giza remain today.[/p]  Short-listed sites that missed the final cut included the Acropolis in Athens; Paris' Eiffel Tower; the Easter Island statues; Britain's Stonehenge; Cambodia's Angkor Wat temples; New York's Statue of Liberty; and the Alhambra in Spain.[/p]  Christian Manhart, UNESCO's press officer, criticised the ballot, saying it sent out a "negative message to countries whose sites have not been retained."[/p]  "All of these wonders obviously deserve a place on the list, but what disturbs us is that the list is limited to just seven," he said, pointing out that "seven were adequate in Antiquity because the Antique world was much smaller than today," only comprising the area surrounding the Mediterranean.[/p][a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070708/wl_mideast_afp/worldculture_070708192933"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070708/wl_mideast_afp/worldculture_070708192933[/a]

P.C.

I hadn't realized that the 'New' Seven Wonders was a replacement for the Seven Wonder of the Ancient World.  I thought this list was in addition to the existing seven wonders, as the SW of the Ancient World was originally compiled around the second century BC.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

yeah its a replacement. such a travesty. Look to see UNESCO come out with an official list with anthropology/history/etc. experts picking a list.

Considering this was done by text message and internet makes it fishy.